Author Topic: Fuel Pump install on 396  (Read 1530 times)

JGraft

• View Profile
Fuel Pump install on 396
« on: April 14, 2023, 05:46:23 PM »
Hi CRG Experts,

This is a Towanda 396 that had a leaking fuel pump. I viewed some youtube videos and the car manual about how to go about the removal/install process.

Some of the videos mentioned installing a fuel pump fastener into the top hole of the engine block to hold the push rod between the camshaft and the fuel pump in place, unfortunately on this engine there is not enough clearance between the water pump outlet and the block to be able to do this on the upper threaded hole. Other videos suggested using a hacksaw blade to hold the pushrod in place before removing the fuel pump, installing new fuel pump without disturbing the position of the hacksaw blade, then once aligned removing the hacksaw blade just before snugging the bolts, which is the method I tried, unfortunately this is a blind installation with no visible means to tell if the pushrod remained in the proper position.

There are currently no fasteners in the 2 locations (see fuelpump1 photo) on the front of the block, and there are no signs of oil leakage from either fastener location. I'm not convinced these threads go through to the interior on this block to clamp the pushrod in place.

There is a plug directly below the fuel pump (see fuelpump2 photo) which may provide access to the pushrod from below as well in some fashion?

If the pushrod somehow dislodged from its proper location during removal/install, is there any harm in trying to crank the engine (I presume no fuel so no firing would occur), or could this cause internal damage to something?

Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Jeff

JGraft

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Pump install on 396
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 05:53:37 PM »
photo fuelpump2 added.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 07:35:34 PM »
Take the plug out and push the rod up with a screwdriver.  If its on the high side of the cam just bump the engine over and it'll go right on.  FYI when you remove the plug the pushrod will most likely fall out.  Straight forward install.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 09:55:49 PM »
Q- For BBC are those the correct Hardware bolts for the pump or do they use a 3/8-16unc with the smaller 1/2" hex head?
Which makes wrenching a little easier. or I might be thinking of SBC
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

JGraft

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 02:12:06 PM »
Thankyou for the response,

So does it mean the fuel pump bolts must also be loosened/removed and fuel pump be reinstalled in order to do this? Also is an application of some sort of thick grease on the pushrod recommended to keep the pushrod in place?

The bolts installed on the fuel pump have a 9/16" head.

Thx,
Jeff

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 03:53:50 PM »
These are the correct mounting bolts (see below) and yes, you have to remove them to remove the fuel pump. And of course the fuel pump push rod is going to slide down on you. They all do unless the engine's not getting enough oil. When it does, go out and buy some "Red-N-Tacky" grease and clean up the rod then put a dab on the end that comes in contact with the camshaft. Slide it back in and it should now stay in position long enough to install the pump.

Ed

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 04:21:42 PM »
EGP-1042
Heartbeat City Camaro Parts
(Bolts)
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

JGraft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 01:39:48 AM »
Thankyou all,

I removed the plug in the second photo and verified via a borescope in the access hole, the pushrod remained in place and fuel pump lever is underneath the pushrod. The hacksaw blade method shown on YouTube actually worked!!!!

Fired her up today - yea!!!! Can't wait to give her a run.

Thx,
Jeff