Author Topic: Tire rub  (Read 1241 times)

mdz

• View Profile
Tire rub
« on: April 10, 2023, 01:10:57 AM »
Just finishing up on the restoration of my 69 Z, I have a tire rub on the right rear side , also have wheels with  generous offset as well as oversized tires 235-60-15 . wanted to see if anyone has used a Eastwood Fender Roller tool or another brand, I just need to bend the lip up a small amount to gain some clearance. Like to hear the comments on your experience if you have used one of these tools.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
Re: Tire rub
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 04:20:07 AM »
When you say "just finishing up on the restoration" do you mean paint work is complete?

JMHO, you risk damaging your new paint.  I have 255 60 15 tires on  the back of my 69 Z right now (also have original ralley wheels with E 70 15s, but not on right now).

Again, JMHO, but you would be far better off getting the correct offset wheel.  I don't have any rubbing at all.

mdz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 01:01:43 AM »
Paint and everything,   is complete I have a set of 200S American mags the rears are 8.5  with a generous off set , wont.be breaking up the set . Just need to roll up the inside lip on the fender to gain a little clearance , I think the Fender Roller will do the trick, just wanted to see if anyone has used one , and how did it work out.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 01:41:21 AM »
This is typically done before paint if you’re mounting bigger offsets. You’ll most likely damage the paint. Back in the 60s, air ride shocks did the magic.

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 02:56:34 AM »
Grab a wooden ball bat, stick it between the tire and the lip and roll the car while lightly pushing on the bat as it spins. It will work it’s way around the lip and gently roll it. No paint work needed, Old school method. Done it a few times loong ago, it does work rather well.

Steve

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 12:50:19 PM »
Everybody has their thing - but if its an all numbers matching car, then why do it?  (that's the purist in me)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 01:25:40 PM by camaronut »

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »
Everybody has their thing - but if its an all numbers matching car, then why do it?  (that's the purist in me)

I have the same thought - doesn’t seem like a car to apply the old principle of “beat to fit, paint to match”.

But as the owner, obviously your call.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

70L34

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 12:28:04 AM »
If they are old 200S wheels they are likely 3.25” backspace which will never fit a stock first gen rear wheelhouse. I would go the old school route and raise the rear with rearched springs - that’s probably your best bet to clear that wheel offset. Good luck!