Author Topic: Power steering belt configuration '69 Z28  (Read 1246 times)

1967CorvetteCoupe

• View Profile
Power steering belt configuration '69 Z28
« on: April 01, 2023, 02:51:17 PM »
Newbie with first post. Recently acquired a '69 Z28. Verified real car but has some cobbled together repairs from the past. Can somebody please post a correct picture of a '69 Z28 power steering system with belts aligned and brackets in place? My car had headers which I removed. Put original manifolds back on but the prior incorrect install had a incorrect bracket holding the power steering reservoir in place and keeping me from putting on the driver side manifold. Removed the bracket and can't get the belt and pulley to line up  What is my system missing?

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Power steering belt configuration '69 Z28
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 03:16:59 PM »
Not sure you have the correct bracket....mine is a base 327, but RPO N40 for power steering ought to be the same or very similar.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

1967CorvetteCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 04:27:43 PM »
Thank you for the response. I agree the bracket could be wrong. I am looking at Heartbeat City exploded view of a power steering kit. My PS lines might be wrong as well. This is a LA car with the original gas tank that appears to never have been dropped. My next logical approach is to drop the tank in search of a broadcast sheet. If I find it and the car was built without power steering, I'm going to eliminate it from the car. If I keep the system, I'll probably just order a complete kit with fresh correct parts.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 02:22:56 PM »
You are missing part number 3959558 Support Assembly.  It is available in reproduction for about $35. 

1967CorvetteCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 04:08:50 PM »
Thank you! Agreed this is missing. I just dropped what appears to be the original gas tank on this LA car, but no broadcast sheet. Best I can tell, the car originally came with power steering. The steering gear box for power steering looks original as does the reservoir, pump, and pulley all there. Somebody cobbled the system together with some make shift brackets. The PS lines are not even close to correct. I suspect the original hoses failed and generic stuff was added. The car also had headers which I removed in favor of original manifolds. I couldn't get the original driver side manifold to line up because the wrong brackets were obstructing it's placement. All of this lead to recognition that the power steering either needed to be removed all together or bracket positioning needed reworked in order to make everything line up with the pulley. At a crossroads now as to just order a complete whole power steering install kit from Heartbeat or just bracket and PS lines. Leaning towards the whole kit as the pump and steering gear box are probably tired after 54 years. If I eliminate the PS , I still need a gear box, correct pulley, pittman arm etc etc.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 04:12:30 PM »
I don't an ac compressor in the AIM drawing.  🤷🤷🤔🤔🤣🤣

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 05:00:54 PM »
 The 1969 Z28 Camaro power steering pulley was part number 3941105:

http://www.camaros.org/pdf/pulleys-69-2007-02-01.pdf

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 08:09:57 PM »
Yes the PS pulley is wrong as it is a standard groove, not a deep groove.  The power steering gearbox has a julian date code stamped on top that might help figure out if it is original to the car. 

1967CorvetteCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 12:53:53 AM »
Thanks for suggestion. I'll find the julian date on the PS gear box. It appears to be original, but questioning everything now as the pulley is not a deep groove. Also it appears I need to see the casting number on the pitman arm. I'm trying to get the car right, so I'll probably end up buying the whole conversion kit for power steering.

1967CorvetteCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 09:16:07 PM »
As suggested, I checked for the Julian date on my steering box. It reads : 3370. Am I correct that would mean December 3, 1970? The casting number is: 56786555. My LA built Z28 has a final assembly date of March 3, 1969. Checked the pitman arm and cast number on it is 8770. The pulley is not deep groove. I am assuming somebody made an early effort to convert this car to power steering using all the wrong parts. Do you guys agree? I'm looking to remove everything and take it back to manual steering. Can't find a manual 16:1 ratio box anywhere but Summit. They sell brands Lares  and Borgeson. Are these any good? My only other option is to do the power steering correctly this time and buy the whole kit through Hearbeat. Any suggestions and wisdom appreciated. This is a real Z but I intend to keep it a non judged driver. Had it now for only 2 months. After 10 Vettes, decided to try something new. Feedback on all of this will be appreciated.