Author Topic: AGM vs Wet cell batteries  (Read 1687 times)

JGraft

• View Profile
AGM vs Wet cell batteries
« on: March 23, 2023, 09:38:02 PM »
Hi CRG experts,

I need to purchase a replacement battery for my car. Looking for recommendations on the type of battery to install, I do not want to have corrosion issues as a result of using the wrong battery style. Car also sits for weeks at a time but plan to keep a trickle charger like a "Battery Tender" on it. Car has a 396 in it so it needs some power to start. Please provide recommended battery manufacturer(s) and model ID's.

Thx in advance for your help,

Jeff

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Re: AGM vs Wet cell batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 01:39:45 AM »
AGM requires a battery tender that is specific to the charge rate style. Lead acids are cheaper and will typically last longer, so make sure your tender/charger works for your type of battery. AGM does not recover and recharge very well if it’s been discharged too much (you left the lights on and came back days or weeks later).  Interstate rates high in my world. My last one was 13 years old before it quit. It was always on a tender but never failed.
Go to their website and get a part number, call your local supplier, and go get it. A stock replacement will do.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 01:52:23 AM »
DELCO 24PS
Was PN # 88865511 which may have been superseded?

Works nice in my 68 SS396
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Chuck-68-Cam

• It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 12:30:20 PM »
I'm with David. We always sold and used Interstate batteries. I was always partial to the MT series.
Chuck

68 Camaro SST 350/TH400

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 02:26:58 PM »
If you are driving it that regularly, there's no need for a tender.
Kurt S
CRG

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 10:16:14 PM »
I think AGM are a waste of money. Get a good lead acid and take care of it . It will last a long time.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

HOGDADDY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 12:34:42 PM »
I got tired of the corrosion issues also.  I am giving the Duracell red top along with their trickle charger a shot. We will see how it does
on my old square body truck. I just replaced the batter tray because it was corroded badly.

I never had a lead acid battery not leak.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 02:59:09 PM »
If you have corrosion build up, you’re not under the hood of your car frequently, if ever. It doesn’t happen overnight folks, it takes months. Red top/yellow top/carrot top/pop top….they all vent.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 03:08:59 PM »
If you have corrosion build up, you’re not under the hood of your car frequently, if ever. It doesn’t happen overnight folks, it takes months.

Exactly

I’ve never had a battery tray corrosion issue on either my ‘69 Camaro (which I’ve owned since 1991) or my ‘66 Chevelle (which I have owned since 1995). 

Spending a little time under the hood and ensuring everything, including the battery tray, stays clean will eliminate the problem entirely.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

HOGDADDY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 02:14:10 AM »
I don't recall seeing many born with Camaro trays that aren't corroded badly and I have a nos one stashed away. I am aware of the difference in original born-with vs nos.
I may also be guilty of neglecting the tray in my truck which is why it corroded badly.

On a side note; The AMD battery trays for 86 Chevy trucks is heavy gauge like original.

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 01:00:13 PM »
Baking soda and water, old brush..and this will neutralize the top of your battery to stop corrosion

anything