Author Topic: Crossram, was there ever a single carb adapter plate?  (Read 6460 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: Crossram, was there ever a single carb adapter plate?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2023, 08:21:10 PM »
I believe for 1970, Chevy pulled the plug so to speak for the Trans-Am teams. Penske switched to AMC, and Chevy had no factory (?) sponsored teams. Why spend money on a 'new' single 4V top plate for the Cross-Ram intakes. Independent racers most likely referred back to a legal dual plane single 4V intake. Please chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2023, 05:38:51 AM »
I doubt that a single 4bbl top was ever considered for crossram manifolds. Why would they? The idea for 2x4 was for more performance not less by substituting a 1x4 on the same manifold. Especially considering they already had a great 1x4 manifold stock on every 302/LT1 engine. For 1970 Chevrolet did in fact limit sponsorship, which is one of the reasons that Penske switched to AMC. If anyone was getting factory help from them in 1970, it might have been Jim Hall.   

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2023, 04:28:47 PM »
Guys,
A slight bit off topic, and I'm sure this has been discussed a million times. Here goes: DID the Winters Cross-Rams come in the trunk when it was a special ordered car? OR was the Cross-Ram an over the counter sale only? Trying to settle a bet. Thanks for the help...
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2023, 05:12:07 PM »
Guys,
A slight bit off topic, and I'm sure this has been discussed a million times. Here goes: DID the Winters Cross-Rams come in the trunk when it was a special ordered car? OR was the Cross-Ram an over the counter sale only? Trying to settle a bet. Thanks for the help...

Dealer might have put it in the trunk for customer to install, but the factory never did.

They were never original factory production and there was never a cross ram in the assembly plant.

Cross rams were through the dealership or over the counter only.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2023, 05:34:16 PM »
A friend that bought one new said it was in the trunk when he picked up the car.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2023, 07:01:48 PM »
A friend that bought one new said it was in the trunk when he picked up the car.

Yes there are “stories”.

My dads 68 Z28 supposedly had headers in the trunk when bought near new with low miles. Docs say that never happened with late cars. Probably not done by the factory. Dad thought they were factory, but there is no proof.

It was a very very late car and probably just never sold new because the 69s were available. Came out of Chicago. Possibly Nickey prepped but no proof. It was faster than any other car in the area. Had higher compression when tested by my uncle at a dealership when they were trying to figure out why the engine ran so well. 4.56 rear gear was part of the reason.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2023, 09:15:10 PM »
I'm not saying it came from the factory. I am saying he bought a new '68 and it was in the trunk.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2023, 10:45:46 PM »
The plenum air cleaner and headers could & did come from the factory in 67 & 68 Z28's. (See option spreadsheet)
No plenum air cleaner, header, or cross-ram came from the factory in 69.
Kurt S
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2023, 05:20:11 AM »
My guess is that while there were factory parts placed in the trunks or backseats, those stories evolved into other parts that were not available as such. That's bench racing.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2023, 10:25:46 PM »
My dad’s car was a very very late car, probably 07E.

I could not find the documentation on when headers were discontinued, so I asked Jerry. According to JM, factory headers were not available after about January 19th of 1968.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2023, 01:04:21 AM »
The letter mentions orders in process. Cars built later than January 19 may have been built as ordered to consume inventory.
Learning more and more about less and less...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2023, 01:59:33 AM »
I doubt any cars after that date were built.
"will hold these orders pending advice as to their disposition" means tell us if you are changing the order so we can build it or cancelling the order.
Kurt S
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2023, 02:28:20 AM »
Thanks for your opinion Kurt. I'll stick with mine.
Learning more and more about less and less...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2023, 04:17:22 AM »
Why else would Chevrolet hold all these orders? The disposition has to come from the dealers - the dealers placed the orders and that is why that notice went to the dealers. The wording tells me that this came from higher up in the organization - they killed that option and no more were to be built. I'll guess it had to do with the headers not meeting emissions. If they were going to build out the inventory, they wouldn't word it this way.
We have seen other notices that say they aren't accepting more orders, but I don't recall them holding orders.  I'll keep my eyes open - I think I have something on this somewhere.

I also went through all the 68 Z's with documentation and the last one we have with plenum or headers was built about 1/10 - none after that though we don't have enough data for that to be conclusive.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 04:41:31 AM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2023, 05:16:59 PM »
“Hold their orders pending advice”  This is very interesting as I’ve read it a few times and gives me some thought and questions.

Do the assembly plants take an inventory of how many cars are currently on the assembly line on both sides of the wall or just the pending orders not yet on the line and send that info back?

If the firewall plenum cutout was completed, (which is the dilemma here), does the car get built or pulled off the assembly line?

When is a car not considered an “order”?

“Pending advice to their disposition” to me means if it already has the prepped area from Fisher, it got the plenum but no headers and nobody got headers on or after Jan 19.

🧐🤨🫣🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔