Author Topic: 1969 Camaro trim tag legit?  (Read 4177 times)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro trim tag legit?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 02:10:41 AM »
Cook…I’m am in the 2.8% group and proud of it.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 02:37:22 AM »
Kurt the other pages of the report Jerry does assess each car in the sense of the word "appraisal", but it seems less of a valuation. To those of us that can follow it and understand the significance it works as a good comprehensive evaluation.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 02:53:12 AM »
Kurt the other pages of the report Jerry does assess each car in the sense of the word "appraisal", but it seems less of a valuation. To those of us that can follow it and understand the significance it works as a good comprehensive evaluation.

Exactly. Those of us that can follow and understand know that the certificate is worthless without the attached appraisal. It is printed on pretty paper and looks impressive to those that do not know. Not sure why you felt a need to explain that to Kurt, I am pretty sure he has seen a thing or two.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 03:29:43 AM »
The extra pages often point out everything that’s wrong. That’s why sellers trash the extra pages and keep the certificate sometimes.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2023, 04:22:44 AM »
An educated enthusiast would probably contact Jerry to verify all the paperwork is there.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 05:29:27 AM »

Exactly. Those of us that can follow and understand know that the certificate is worthless without the attached appraisal. It is printed on pretty paper and looks impressive to those that do not know. Not sure why you felt a need to explain that to Kurt, I am pretty sure he has seen a thing or two.

just that it is less of a value appraisal vs as Bryon states it is actually the useful info of what is incorrect or (wrong). I guess to me when I hear the word "appraisal " I think of someone actually putting a dollar amount to an object is all. 🙂

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 09:47:13 AM »
If someone had the time and resources, they could start swapping out original parts for restamps 30 seconds after the inspection ends. Or if a certificate is just a few days old, strange things can happen like a piston coming through the side of the block. Now don’t get me wrong, having a car looked at is great. But in my mind - the older the inspection is, the less value it has. Buyers ALWAYS need to do THEIR OWN homework and inspection.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2023, 12:19:06 PM »
Nevermind....I'm not opening a can of worms.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2023, 02:03:33 PM »
If someone had the time and resources, they could start swapping out original parts for restamps 30 seconds after the inspection ends. Or if a certificate is just a few days old, strange things can happen like a piston coming through the side of the block. Now don’t get me wrong, having a car looked at is great. But in my mind - the older the inspection is, the less value it has. Buyers ALWAYS need to do THEIR OWN homework and inspection.

And that is what someone will try to cash in on once JM retires or sells the company.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
I think the inspection is something (currently) that can hold value to buyers and sellers, but it is a huge undertaking. Additionally as time marches on will the inspection be as valuable ? All of the passionate numbers matching guys and people that want a correct car, may be less and less and it may not be as important to have a 1st gen Camaro inspected. Perhaps the MCACN or the Camaro Nationals will be the future outlet if people want certification of some sort.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2023, 03:58:25 PM »

just that it is less of a value appraisal vs as Bryon states it is actually the useful info of what is incorrect or (wrong). I guess to me when I hear the word "appraisal " I think of someone actually putting a dollar amount to an object is all. 🙂

Have you actually seen a complete JM appraisal-certificate of authenticity? I am certain Kurt S has. It consists of at least 3 things: 1. A nice "certificate" printed on fancy paper suitable for framing and putting on your wall. 2. The meat of the report. Of course this is the most important part. 3. The appraisal. This is the actual dollar amount at the time of the report. Of course all of this is all in the opinion of the certifier-appraiser and is good as his experience and reputation allow. (Which is highly rated BTW).

On a completely different subject, what ever happened to COPO Connection?

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2023, 09:02:38 PM »
I am just telling you, most guys take the certificate and never show the rest.

Appraisals can vary by date and location. An appraisal is an opinion. Markets fluctuate.

Long story on COPO Connection. Gone and not coming back.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 02:38:55 AM »
I am just telling you, most guys take the certificate and never show the rest.

Appraisals can vary by date and location. An appraisal is an opinion. Markets fluctuate.

Long story on COPO Connection. Gone and not coming back.

Yeah, I get it. Most guys also buy first, ask questions later. We all know how that turns out.

I saw a guy on FB recently that quoted an article that said all 1968 Z/28's had a VIN starting with 124378, and his car started with 124378, therefore it was a genuine Z/28. Same kind of logic as "it has a certificate, so it must be genuine".

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 02:42:07 AM »
If I ever am in the position to buy a car that needed Jerry’s stamp of approval, the inspection and sale would take place the same day. All I’m looking for is for verification and justification of what my hard earned money will buy. .02

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2023, 02:34:33 PM »
Most people who want our cars don't care about numbers that match or a certificate.  I've plenty of people who wanted to buy my car at shows / cruises. Had a gent approach me a few years back that wanted my car so bad - he would have paid my "You really want this" price.  I told him I had no pedigree / papers, etc.  He could have cared less. 

I chickened out and kept my car. 

It'll be my coffin.  ;D

anything