Author Topic: 69 SS Steering hub / wheel alignment problem  (Read 1226 times)

boomer632

• View Profile
69 SS Steering hub / wheel alignment problem
« on: February 06, 2023, 03:42:10 PM »
Ok so here's what I have going on. Ill start by saying my car is a 396 with power steering and has the comfort grip wheel with center horn button. Prior to disassembly, I marked the wheel, hub, and column with tape just to make sure I put all back together and aligned the way it came off. I dove into the steering  column to change out my ignition switch and took pictures as I went along. All went as expected and the new switch works. I put the turn signal plate back in as well as the horn contact assembly in exactly as it came apart. Made sure tape marks all lined up which they did. All good to this point.

So here's the issue, The back of the steering wheel has a lip where one of the spokes overlaps the other two. That is normal. The hub has a notch in it that accepts that lip. Normal there too. So when I went to put the wheel back I put the wheel lip into the hub notch and saw that the wheel was now 180 degrees out. Rather than the wheel spokes being correctly positioned like a "Y" its now is like an inverted Y which is incorrect. I must not have noticed that the previous owner positioned the wheel correctly visually wise, but it was not in the corresponding notch in the hub. Its obvious that the splines on the steering shaft only permit the hub to go on one way which makes the wheel only go on one way. They cannot be clocked.
So my question here is.. what was installed incorrectly? Rag joint out 180? Spline coupler on box out 180? Just from researching, it appeares that the rag joint and coupler on end of engine side of shaft are splined only to go on one way so I cant clock it correctly from there. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Sorry for long post..
69 SS NOR 06A 711 57 57 X66 L78 M22 BU

Chuck-68-Cam

• It is what it is
    • View Profile
Re: 69 SS Steering hub / wheel alignment problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 11:56:52 PM »
Just curious, did you remove the column or just drop it?
Chuck

68 Camaro SST 350/TH400

boomer632

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 01:20:41 AM »
Neither.. just removed steering wheel and horn mechanism to replace ignition key switch. Didnt do anything to column.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 03:17:57 PM »
Welp - having the same setup as all of us do in this forum, and nothing changed from the signal mechanism and up  - the steering wheel had to have been put onto the hub 180 degrees out from the onset. Maybe you didn't notice that when you took it apart? - and why would it be like that in the first place?  Maybe the previous owner (if there is one) made a big mistake downward towards the steering box and figured, ehhhhhhh I'll just put the wheel on like this and the hell with it.   Weird........

boomer632

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 05:05:02 PM »
Yes this is correct. The steering wheel was put on by PO 180 out and I didnt notice when I took it off. Now that everything is back together, the wheel is 180 out when I put it on correctly.

The only fixes for this that I can think of (not sure if any of these shafts and spines are keyed to go in only one way)

1) Pulling the column shaft out of the rag joint, re-aligning steering wheel and reinstall shaft into rag joint
2) Pulling pitman arm of power steering box, re-aligning steering wheel then put pitman back on box

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 05:22:33 PM »
Well - I don't think #2 is possible - you'll run out of gear in the box in one direction or the other. 
I guess #1 is the way to go.....Look at the flange that meets the steering box - if its possible, pull the column up, spin it 180 and see what that'll do...or leave the rag joint on and spin.

boomer632

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 06:20:55 PM »
Ill start with pulling rag joint. Ill report back at findings for others who may have same issue in future..

anything