Author Topic: Front sway bar and springs  (Read 4066 times)

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
Front sway bar and springs
« on: January 24, 2023, 10:58:39 PM »
I’m doing my best for a legends class restoration on my 67 convertible, my original sway bar and front springs appeared to be raw steel from factory with no signs of ever having paint on them….So that’s what I was doing, however everywhere I look it says that sway bar from factory was painted black….was there any exceptions?

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Front sway bar and springs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 11:33:38 PM »
End links also look replaced / Serviced.

Comment intended as a productive awareness.

v/r

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 11:49:59 PM »
I appreciate any help, not at all offended…original end links are just rust looking I couldn’t tell on correct finish, What type of finish should they be?
I’m going for a original as left factory (not over restored) so before stickers are put on springs I just wanted to make sure my finishes are correct. The legends manual shows spring and sway bar painted black end links, I thought were a cad finish.

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 12:01:21 AM »
Sway bar is painted black. Springs should be heat tempered steel with a bluish black finish. Not painted black

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 03:16:51 AM »
Do the springs look correct here? They are not painted however are heat tempered steel.
Also would sway bar be satin or gloss black?

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 12:33:04 AM »
Sway bar would be satin or semi-gloss. No the springs do not look right

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 09:51:12 PM »
These two photos are from “Legends Judging Manual” 1967 & 1968….one spring looks exactly like mine other is black….not sure what ones correct or are neither exactly correct?

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 10:15:00 PM »
Does it specify? Juuuuuuust curious. 🤔🤔🧐🧐

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 10:39:49 PM »
It does not specify which one is correct ….it shows pictures of what they judge and how many points for each category. I just assumed both were correct. Although one appears to be a 1968 other appears to be 1967 by looking at control arm bumpers. I’m not sure if they were different for ear year..

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 11:22:52 PM »
It would appear that 67conv6cyl First photo also has a UNC sway bar end link Machine screw instead of the usually found UNF fine thread?
The Nut appears to be a modern Nylock locking nut also which is or was not used.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 12:48:30 AM »
Thanks  Jim, What dose UNC and UNF stand for?
The end links have been on this car since 1991 (32 years) Its funny that they are considered “modern”, the front springs I  believe I bought from Heinrich Chevrolet in 1991 they are just unpainted natural steel that have just aged a bit over time and have a slight tinge of tarnish. This car has been in temperature conditioned room for the last 34 years. I have also realized over the years that it doesn’t mater even if the parts are GM replacement parts bought from Chevrolet dealership they are still not the same as the factory originals.

169INDY

• View Profile
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Delco115

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 01:58:10 PM »
"......What dose UNC and UNF stand for?"

This from Google - - -
UNF threads are Unified fine pitch threads, while UNC threads are Unified coarse pitch threads. UNF and UNC thread screws are both used for fastening, but mainly applied in different fields. coarse thread has higher strength and find thread is better for sealing.

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 12:06:33 AM »
Here is the description of the front springs from the manual - Springs should be a natural finish, blued or dark phosphate. Paint is not acceptable.  The sway bar is painted semi-gloss black. When doing the manual, we tried to use photos of what would be correct. The 68 Z28 used was restored nearly 30 years ago. It was used to show the original body panels with spot welds ( especially rear wheel wells), original interior, and original engine and components.  Back then, bare steel painted springs were acceptable. The photo above was used to show the original tie rod adjuster and hardware. Repos are different Could not avoid getting the spring in the background. Nor could it readily be taken out and have a correct finish put on.  The sway bar links in the photos have the correct finish.  Please look at what the photos are being used for with the captions. Not perfect but go with the descriptions

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 02:21:49 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up….that makes sense. I just assumed that all pictures shown had factory correct finishes. So I just thought that Norwood cars and LA cars had different finishes.
I kept all the original parts that were on my car from the factory and looked very close at the springs for any signs of paint and didn’t see any.