Author Topic: 69 Headlight washer system T-Valves & Y-Connector - Follow-up  (Read 4919 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Re: 69 Headlight washer system T-Valves & Y-Connector - Follow-up
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 11:10:58 PM »
Steve,

I'll check it out again but what restoration flaw is in Lloyd's wiper motor?

Dave

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 12:13:07 AM »
BTW, the ‘69 Legends Judge Manual does not mention the difference noted above between the ‘69 front and rear window crank handles, despite going into tons of detail about interiors. JM help draft the judge manual but the detail on the window crank handles was not mentioned yet it was noted in a cert report.  The Legends Judge Manual is well done and a great resource, but I am already looking forward to the next edition…lol!

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2023, 01:38:02 AM »
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the front window cranks for Deluxe door panels!  These are a totally different front crank than the standard front or even the rear (even though rear cranks for Deluxe interior are the same part no). 

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 03:17:24 AM »
Steve,

I'll check it out again but what restoration flaw is in Lloyd's wiper motor?

Dave

Involves the printing on the solenoid coil end frame. Reproductions are not the same as the original manufacturer -
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 03:25:43 AM »
BTW, the ‘69 Legends Judge Manual does not mention the difference noted above between the ‘69 front and rear window crank handles, despite going into tons of detail about interiors. JM help draft the judge manual but the detail on the window crank handles was not mentioned yet it was noted in a cert report.  The Legends Judge Manual is well done and a great resource, but I am already looking forward to the next edition…lol!
[/quote

Original crank handles are really flat to the panels, more evident on the rear cranks. I surmise it changed or was superseded early on. Later service and maybe mid production cranks have more ‘arch’ in my view. I would welcome opinions -

Steve

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 05:09:28 PM »
Steve,

I saw the additional ink stamping info on the end face of the reproduction headlight washer solenoid coil.  I assume it was stamped on service replacement coils but not included on factory released originals?  My assumption is based on the view of your original wiper motor assembly, in the CRG topic "RS Headlight Washer Solenoid Wiring" and views other folks have shared under that topic. The NOS service replacement coil shown below includes the ink stamping on the end face. I believe Lloyd shared that photo from his '69 RS Z28 restoration.

I hope you and Lloyd don't mind that borrowed the views of your coils shown below to clarify this point.

The reproduction headlight washer assembly is a well done piece. I wonder if WD40 can be used to clean off the ink stamping on the end face?  Personally, if I had a NOS replacement coil I would leave the ink stamping on the unit and save the box to prove it was a NOS piece. 

P.S. Hope my wife does not find all the NOS boxes and wrappings I have saved over the years...LoL!

Dave

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2023, 05:59:05 AM »
Whoever wrote the "did not appear on original coils" must not have looked at very many, or at a still-legible end frame. I assure you it is there, unfortunately you have to squint to see mine underneath 55 year old crud (I very carefully did NOT try to clean it off due to the apparent fragility of the ink or paint). If you inspect it under magnification, the lettering is identical to service parts, for a very good reason - same supplier did all of them. I researched and contacted the OEM many years ago, verified who they were and what they supplied (this was laborious, before the internet and Google heyday, when you had to read things and make phone calls). Rochester Division of A/C (Rochester NY) stamped the coil date and the part number likely when they received the valve assembly from the supplier before valve installation and shipping. From all of my research, they were batch built, as there seems to be a small date sample from the originals I've ever researched. I have two NOS "service" coils, and at least one other original (other than this one) that all have identical part numbers and info.

If you remove the printing as specified by whoever suggested it, you will be incorrect in my honest estimation. As usual, just my opinion - 

Regards,
Steve

P.S. I should have added you should leave the end frame part number, and remove the reproduction GM number from the side and restamp/ink it. The GM number they applied looks far worse that than the OEM part number on the end of the coil frame in my view.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2023, 11:54:47 AM »
Good to know Steve. Thanks for the info!

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2023, 05:29:54 PM »
Did you find your Y connector?

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2023, 06:47:21 PM »
I just looked in my part drawers and still have about 10 Y connecters from the same run as Dave69x33's one.  They do not feel brittle, but I would think underhood heat could play a role. If the washer is not functional, filling the internal holes with something might help keep it solid.   

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 03:31:18 AM »
Are you going to use that water pump or is it just for good looks?

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2023, 06:10:01 PM »
I reversed engineered the Y-Connector fitting I purchased from KevinW years ago and had a friend with a rapid prototyping machine printer make a prototype connector. The 2nd piece he made turned out well and I installed it on my car. 

The trick is to "grow" the part with the Y-Connector in the vertical position (like the letter "Y"). In this orientation, the internal passages are cleaner.  I used drill bits to hand ream the passage ways to make sure there was no residual plastic in the passages. The plastic material is durable and should hold up well. If you place KevinW's modeled plastic connector side-by-side with my rapid prototyped connector, you can see differences. The rapid prototyping piece shows the layers as the plastic was formed to make the part, and the raised nibs are not as pronounced.  However, the hoses fit well and snug on the connector, and they cover 90%+ of the connector so it does not show as the hose joint is positioned below the wiper motor.

Love this technology!

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 06:30:40 PM »
Here is my rough sketch of the Y-Connector. Eventually I will model it in AutoCAD as a .stp file or in SolidWorks.  Once the sketch is model in CAD, the model can be process direct to the rapid prototyping machine to make one. I wanted to share it in case anyone else with a rapid prototyping machine wants to give this design a try!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:33:15 PM by Dave69x33 »

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2023, 04:43:15 PM »
Since my RS wiper/washer motor and pump restoration are the subject of discussion here I thought I would respond to Steve's (z28/z11) observation about the supplementary RS washer pump ink stamps. Steve is correct that the ink stamps on repro RS washer pumps (originals are not restoreable) are incorrect. The photo of my restored pump that was posted by Dave (Dave69X33) from my build thread on Team Camaro was added to the thread before I corrected the stamps. Original pump stamps used on the pump top profile were wide and oddly didn't fit the width of the gold dichromate bracket so they were applied on an angle.   

My original RS washer pump & stamp

Repro RS washer pump & stamp

Corrected Repro RS washer pump stamp (with my preferred original pump date code)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:09:20 PM by Edgemontvillage »

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2023, 05:01:14 PM »
As always, great work Lloyd!

Did you use Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton pad to remove the repro ink stamp, or use WD40 to help dissolve and remove the ink, clean the surfaces with alcohol then use your custom in stamp?

Dave

anything