Author Topic: Old Mustang guy looking at a 69 Z28, Help please  (Read 5315 times)

PRoss

• View Profile
Old Mustang guy looking at a 69 Z28, Help please
« on: January 04, 2023, 07:30:49 PM »
I am looking at a 69 Z28 (confirmed by the cowl tag) It is originally a grabber orange w/ black std interior car. Currently has a 400? and 4 spd. Is there a way to find out the original engine, trans, rear?

Also, is there anyone willing to help me evaluate the cars possible value? ... but not snipe it :)

Thanks!

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Old Mustang guy looking at a 69 Z28, Help please
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 07:44:31 PM »
Before you do anything, post a picture of the cowl tag. There are literally thousands of fake 69 z28's out there so you don't want to get taken by one.

Also, post the VIN. It may already be in the database.

The original engine for a Z28 would have been the 302. The transmission would either be a Muncie M20, M21 or M22 4 speed depending on the rear end gear ratio. As for the rear, it could be anywhere from a 3.07 to a 4.88.

Ed

PRoss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 07:51:34 PM »
Thank you Ed. I have requested the VIN.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 09:59:05 PM »
Not a great picture, but it appears to be legit. A better, higher resolution picture would help. And yes, get the VIN and if possible, see what the rear axle code is.

Ed

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 05:15:49 AM »
I am looking at a 69 Z28 (confirmed by the cowl tag) It is originally a grabber orange.

Ford speak for Hugger Orange.

Welcome to the site! It looks promising. Good luck if you decide to purchase it. Everyone here would like to hear more about it and your progress.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 04:42:31 PM »
cowl hood
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

PRoss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 05:07:17 PM »
I am looking at a 69 Z28 (confirmed by the cowl tag) It is originally a grabber orange.

Welcome to the site! It looks promising. Good luck if you decide to purchase it. Everyone here would like to hear more about it and your progress.

Oops! :) .... I warned you :)

PRoss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 05:33:04 PM »
cowl hood

Does the tag indicate cowl hood? Since the tag does not indicate D80, does that mean this car came w/o the front air dam and rear spoiler?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 06:10:03 PM »
Congrats.  Nothing on tag for ZL2 option (cowl hood).  Not necessarily on the D80.  That time frame was not always on the tag.  Show photos of the trunk lid and the torsen spring for the trunk lid also.  Any more photos of the firewall area?

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 07:18:39 PM »
I think I see the lip of the cowl hood extension in the upper left of the tag photo?
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 06:41:39 AM »
cowl hood

Does the tag indicate cowl hood? Since the tag does not indicate D80, does that mean this car came w/o the front air dam and rear spoiler?

As stated, nothing on the trim tag to stipulate ZL2 cowl induction hood option. The car you are interested in would probably not have D80 on the tag being built 05A. On factory spoiler cars, one trunk lid torsion spring will be a larger diameter than the other. That was to compensate for the added weight of the spoiler.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 01:09:28 PM »
As stated, nothing on the trim tag to stipulate ZL2 cowl induction hood option. The car you are interested in would probably not have D80 on the tag being built 05A. On factory spoiler cars, one trunk lid torsion spring will be a larger diameter than the other. That was to compensate for the added weight of the spoiler.

Here's a link on the O5A D80 topic.

Click Me!

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 03:08:46 PM »
As of 4/69 if the car is a true Z28, the car would have included a spoiler. It became part of the Z28 package as of the date

Paul

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 03:23:05 PM »
As I mentioned in your thread at the Camaros.net site - without the numbers matching drivetrain - especially the 302 engine - the car is a Z28 without its real meaning.

I don't own a Z, but to me - the engine is what makes the Z28.

Plus that car would take $$$$$ to make it a decent driver.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2023, 04:45:41 PM »
There's a place for non-original engine Z/28s.

The late John Z had an excellent original Z; docs and owner history back to new. Happened to have received a warranty short block early in its life. Still a 302, with all other parts transferred over from the original engine. Wouldn't bother me in the least.

Projects like this are great candidates for a Resto-Mod or a Day 2 build like the Yellow² Z on SYC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115663356273
Learning more and more about less and less...

PRoss

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 05:05:05 PM »
There's a place for non-original engine Z/28s.

The late John Z had an excellent original Z; docs and owner history back to new. Happened to have received a warranty short block early in its life. Still a 302, with all other parts transferred over from the original engine. Wouldn't bother me in the least.

Projects like this are great candidates for a Resto-Mod or a Day 2 build like the Yellow² Z on SYC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115663356273

I feel the same way. So what do you think of the bidding on that ebay Z?

PRoss

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2023, 05:08:35 PM »
Thank you everyone for your input.

I do have a bunch of pictures from the seller now. Should I post them? I am really on the fence on this one.

I am asking the seller about the 12 bolt now....

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2023, 08:19:33 PM »

Non oe engine projects are valued as the sum of the parts.

Buildable chassis w/good title, 12 bolt axle, trans & shifter. Body has more rust than is obvious, concerned about the filler in the roof above the windshield. Really crusty undercarriage. Trunk floor and frame rails look weak. Assuming the trans is original [aftermarket shifter] and the axle is original BU/BV, it's already high IMHO.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2023, 08:24:24 PM »

Oops! :) .... I warned you :)

Welcome to the site. You are in good hands from the members. Btw, a bit of a 'correction' on the Grabber Orange/Hugger Orange comparison: Grabber Orange is not the right comparison to Hugger Orange. In Ford speak it would be Calypso Coral. Grabber Orange is closer to school bus yellow.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

PRoss

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 08:41:53 PM »

Buildable chassis w/good title, 12 bolt axle, trans & shifter. Body has more rust than is obvious, concerned about the filler in the roof above the windshield. Really crusty undercarriage. Trunk floor and frame rails look weak. Assuming the trans is original [aftermarket shifter] and the axle is original BU/BV, it's already high IMHO.

So, as the story continues....the rear axle is not the original 12 inch. My gut; as well as all the great advice, observations, and input I have received on this site and the camaros.net site; has me heavily leaning to pass on this. The asking price is $15k and as I learn more, I am thinking this is a $8k car. I would rather spend twice as much and get a nice solid first gen with a 4spd. I will let ya'll know if things change. Thank you for all the lhelp!

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 09:00:28 PM »
We ain't here to burst ya bubble - just to set ya straight!!!!   :D

PRoss

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 09:40:57 PM »
We ain't here to burst ya bubble - just to set ya straight!!!!   :D

and that is EXACTLY why I came here :)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 11:35:48 PM »
The asking price is $15k and as I learn more, I am thinking this is a $8k car.
This is for the orange car? Can't buy much of anything for $8K. 
The ebay blue car is almost at $18K - good colors, but that body scares me and it will sell for more than that.
Kurt S
CRG

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 05:03:12 PM »
The asking price is $15k and as I learn more, I am thinking this is a $8k car.
This is for the orange car? Can't buy much of anything for $8K. 
The ebay blue car is almost at $18K - good colors, but that body scares me and it will sell for more than that.

That tag is the prettiest part of that car. Dark blue on blue.
I will bet that rear end is so corroded you will not be able to decode it.

Note to Mustang guy, don't buy based on a simple trim tag that is reproduced and cannot be confirmed by anything like a Marti report. Experts can only offer an opinion on if it looks authentic or not.

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2023, 12:23:24 AM »
I agree with William. A CE block car does not bother me in the least bit.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2023, 11:38:39 AM »
I agree with William. A CE block car does not bother me in the least bit.

It will when it comes time to sell.  Its not the engine it rolled out of the factory with - but I respect William's point of view.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 06:23:00 AM »

So, as the story continues....the rear axle is not the original 12 inch. My gut; as well as all the great advice, observations, and input I have received on this site and the camaros.net site; has me heavily leaning to pass on this. The asking price is $15k and as I learn more, I am thinking this is a $8k car. I would rather spend twice as much and get a nice solid first gen with a 4spd. I will let ya'll know if things change. Thank you for all the lhelp!

LOL Mustang guy! Gotcha again! 9 inch Ford, 12 bolt Chevy. I love that you put yourself out there! Anything we can do to help you bridge the manufacturers gap is good. There are certainly things about other manufactures that I don't know and appreciate learning about when I get schooled!

As for a CE motor, not as good as original, but not a deal breaker either. I'm sure there are more NOM cars remaining than original motor cars.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 03:39:11 PM »
love to see pics of the rest of the car.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2023, 05:42:47 PM »
D80 on the Trim Tag - Regarding the D80 spoilers, my trim tag includes "X33 D80" on my 05A Norwood build RS Z28.  While the D80 spoilers became a mandatory option on the Z28 in mid-April 1969, there are a number of Z28s build around the same time as my car that include "D80" on the trim tag.

The "late JohnZ"?  - Did I understand that correctly?!  Did John pass away?  If so, that is sad news and a big lost to the community of Corvette and 1st Gen Camaro fans.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2023, 08:47:29 PM »
An 05A build would not have D80 on the tag even if the car were built with D80.

Yes, John Z passed away a few years ago.

PRoss

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2023, 09:34:17 PM »

LOL Mustang guy! Gotcha again! 9 inch Ford, 12 bolt Chevy. I love that you put yourself out there! Anything we can do to help you bridge the manufacturers gap is good. There are certainly things about other manufactures that I don't know and appreciate learning about when I get schooled!

As for a CE motor, not as good as original, but not a deal breaker either. I'm sure there are more NOM cars remaining than original motor cars.

You're killing me :) .... somebody moved the dizzy to the back of the engine.... ;)

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2023, 05:38:16 AM »
LOL, that's the spirit!