Author Topic: Factory T.I. adapter  (Read 2109 times)

uscrichter

• View Profile
Factory T.I. adapter
« on: December 06, 2022, 10:34:54 PM »
Has anyone here used this adapter to get their TI to work with a factory tachometer? I am installing an over-the-counter NOS TI in my '69 Z and looking for the easiest, least intrusive way of integrating this adapter in my wiring and am hoping someone has been successful installing one and can give me advice before I cut any wires. By the way, Wayne Guinn was very helpful in advice for integrating my TI unit to the factory wiring.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Factory T.I. adapter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 10:48:25 PM »
ZL-1 Camaros used the TI ignition system; a few did have the factory tach. I recall no need for any other wiring.   
Learning more and more about less and less...

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 01:10:33 AM »
William, Thanks for the response, that seems to be the consensus with the factory installed ZL1's, however with this over-the-counter TI kit, I have been told from people that have integrated into their Z-28's that the tack would function but not accurately without this little device, so if anyone on the site has used it, please let me know how you connected it.
Thanks

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 02:58:22 PM »
Could be it is a tach filter. Google it, plenty of info.
Learning more and more about less and less...

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 06:40:39 PM »
Will do! Thanks! Curt

CJP_69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 08:51:46 PM »
For the heck of it, have you tried running the car with the TI and tach without the adapter? I added TI to my 69z a few years ago. Nos 343 box, nos 207 coil, 267 dist. Original gm 6-8 tach. After much research, some said it needed an adapter, some said it didn't. HBC carries one that I was going to buy but I figured I would just try it without the adapter and the tach works fine. My car is a late 10D factory gauge car so I don't know if any circuitry in the tach changed through the model year. I also disconnected the points resistance wire at the bulkhead and left it in the harness and added 8901973 ignition feed wire so I didn't have to drill the firewall.
Chris

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 11:50:40 PM »
I connected the power feed wire at the firewall as well, it just seemed like the easiest way to go, I ended up having to use a 263 distributor since I had clearance issues with my 267 vacuum canister and the crossram intake, I utilized my old tach connector to wire the module and then plug it into the new wire harness which made it easy to install with butchering the new harness so I did not try and run it without it, it is interesting that some people have had no issues and some do?

CJP_69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 02:19:42 PM »
Yes, I'm not sure why it works for some and not others. With the price of the tach adapter that I was considering being close to $200, I figured I would try it without. At least you found a good solution to incorporate it into your wiring. Same issues with my 267 also. Stabbing the distributor is critical to have at least a little adjustment on the timing with the crossram. I also have a 263 which I will eventually swap as the can on the 267 isn't connected anyway, but I need to have the lower end machined for the oiling.

Enjoy that crossram. We drove ours to Hemmings Muscle Palooza at Lebanon Valley Dragway in New York last May. Over 300 miles round trip.  ;D
Chris

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 07:56:07 PM »
Happy to hear your driving and enjoying it! I'm just assembling everything right now and realizing that these components aren't exactly plug n play as there are various modifications that need to be made along the to get the maximum performance and reliability out of this setup. I just installed a set of Doug's headers and realize that the stock repro plug wire at the number one-cylinder touches the header , any advice here? Thanks, Curt

CJP_69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 10:33:57 PM »
Not sure. I'm running Dougs 1 3/4" D368 and the #1 tube comes off the flange a bit before it turns down and there is plenty of clearance around it. I'm running the repro wire set also. I will say that I was able to use the reverse lockout with these. Just had to bend the rod from the bellcrank to the trans slightly to go over the collector.
Chris

BRG Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 11:33:28 PM »
Switch the tach coil wire over to the positive, the tach will work fine. You don’t need the adapter.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 11:56:01 PM »
Just thought I would share the fact that I just installed the Shorty spark plugs by Accel also known as header plugs and they give me the necessary clearance , so problem solved without having to modify the headers!