Author Topic: Posting Photos On The Forum  (Read 1483 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Posting Photos On The Forum
« on: December 02, 2022, 01:00:14 PM »
I have helped several over the years with doing this and it seems it is always a question as the majority of us are visual learners and basically we all like seeing cool cars and stuff about these 1st gen Camaros.  The intent of the thread is to show step by step how to resize an image and how to upload it in a post on the forum.

Microsoft based PC image sharing

I'm sure the majority of the people reading this know where they keep their files of the images they want to share are located on their pc's so I will skip all of that nonsense because lets be honest if you don't know the very basics of computing then just turn your laptop or desktop off right now.  Now on to step 1.

Step 1:  If you are starting a "New Topic" then go to Step 2.  Go to the bottom of the thread where the "Quick Reply" box is located and select "Preview".

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:53:13 PM by cook_dw »

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Posting Photos On The Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 01:14:23 PM »
Step 2:  Now that you have the full editing available for the post; you can grab your photo and attach it to the thread post.  Click on "Attachments and other options" to bring up options and attachments.  Then select "Choose File" and select the image you want to upload.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:54:38 PM by cook_dw »

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 01:15:33 PM »
Step 2 cont. -  Now click post.....

OOOOHHHH NNOoooooooooo!!!!!!

You've gotten the dreaded "Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 200 KB"

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:55:43 PM by cook_dw »

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 02:20:02 PM »
Step 3: Here is where you will resize your image to fit within the perimeters of the forum.  I personally use "Paint".  The majority of all Microsoft based pc's have this app.  So find Paint from your program files or by doing a search on your pc.  Once you have opened your image with the Paint program you will go to the "Resize" tab and select it. At the bottom of the Paint window you will see the file size.  Pay attention to this as it will come in handy in a few steps.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:56:25 PM by cook_dw »

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 02:27:58 PM »
Step 4:  Once you have clicked on Resize you will see the resize window.  I personally use "Percentage" vs "Pixel".  But feel free to try all aspects of the editing functions and go with what makes the most sense for you and your application. 

Back to Percentage..  Depending on the file size I will base the percentage I want to reduce it to.  I usually start with "30%" depending on the file size. The "30%" is of its original file size (this particular photo I used 15% as the image has greater detail in it which requires a greater percentage less than the norm).  30% has usually been a good number for my photo sizes although it's not a hard rule.  Now you will see Horizontal and Vertical boxes.  It doesn't really matter which box you make the change to as it'll keep the same ratio under percentage.  Change 100 to less than 100 (my photo again I used 15%) and click OK
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:59:52 PM by cook_dw »

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 02:32:07 PM »
Step 5: Once you have clicked OK the image will resize but you will notice the file size still says its original size (2.6MB in this case).  Now here is where you may have to play around with the image.  The image info (file size) will not change until it is saved.  Here is where you will go to File, Save as (this is important as you do not want to overwrite your original photo just in case you do not like the changes), and select JPEG picture.  Rename the file and continue.  Once you have saved the new file now you will see the file size on the bottom of the screen has changed (in this case  112.2KB)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:00:24 PM by cook_dw »

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 02:52:21 PM »
Step 6:  Now you are under 200kb limit that CRG requires for each photo.  You can upload up to 4 images but only if the total file sizes are less than 500KB.  Now go back to "Step 2" and upload your file.  And like that..  Your image is uploaded into the thread you are wanting to share the image in. 

Are there other ways to accomplish this file size reducing?  Of course there is.  But this one is easy and just about every pc has this app to use.  I also know Kurt has mentioned in the past that the forum had been updated with an auto resizing feature but I have noticed it does not always work like it was intended.  I will add to this thread in the future of other ways or even better from a phone like the iPhone (and maybe someone with an Android based phone can do the same).  Hope this helps someone in the future. 

jwbavalon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 08:12:01 PM »
Thanks for posting these instructions.

anything