Author Topic: Chirping / squealing noise at highway speed ???  (Read 1265 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Chirping / squealing noise at highway speed ???
« on: November 25, 2022, 09:20:26 PM »
My '68 is a fresh frame off restoration. Everything is new or refurbished. Before today, it's only been driven about 100 miles since finishing the restoration. Today was the first time though that I took on the highway and got it up above 45 mph.

Once it hits 50 mph and faster, there is a fairly loud chirping or squealing sound. The best comparison I can make is that it sounds like a bunch of crickets chirping away at night. When you drop back down below 50 mph, the noise disappears.

It sounds like it is coming from the front passenger side but I can't be sure.

In the front, the spindles, wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads, and tires are all brand new. The tires are BFG Radial TA's.

The rear end was professionally rebuilt. The axles, wheel bearings, brake drums, and brake shoes are all new. Also, it has a new Eaton posi unit in it.

For what it is worth, the front disc brake pads seem to be clamping awfully tight on the rotors with no pressure on the brake pedal. With the front wheels off of the ground, I've never felt so much resistance when trying to rotate a tire by hand.

Any ideas on this sound (and the tight brakes), I haven't got a clue.

Thanks.........Dave

PURESS

• View Profile
Re: Chirping / squealing noise at highway speed ???
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 01:18:29 PM »
Front brake hose replaced?...Is the driver's side front wheel hard to turn also?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 06:12:10 PM »
I can easily spin my rotors on all my vehicles with the wheels removed. Something is applying pressure to your system. Most likely the intermediate rod length. Common issue. I always check mine on every rebuild I do. Squeaking is hard to determine on the internet. Jack it up and evaluate. You got the same response on the other site.

Chuck-68-Cam

• It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 08:10:55 PM »
I would try pushing the caliper piston just enough to let the wheel spin free. (Assuming it will) Then line lock (crimp hose) the hose to that wheel, then take for a drive. Try the same for both sides and see if it is brake/caliper related. Wouldn't hurt to check the rotor for play while you're at it.
Chuck

68 Camaro SST 350/TH400

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 03:57:26 PM »
I think on the sound you might look at the u joints. I would think they are new but parts these days might not be all that good. I had someone do some front end work awhile back and I really do not think they greased any of the new parts after installation.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition