Author Topic: Need a source for high quality reproduction glass  (Read 1272 times)

dlshady

• View Profile
Need a source for high quality reproduction glass
« on: October 22, 2022, 06:41:13 PM »
Wondering who you guys have found to be the best source for quality reproduction glass.  I'm building a 68 SS350 for a customer and we ordered a set of what Heartbeat City calls "OE Quality - non date coded" for $1050 because my customer didn't see the value in spending the extra $250 to have it date coded.  I'd have prefered the date coded but figured this was still a better option than what they described as "Import quality" for something like $530. 

What we received was a Chinese windshield with edges so wavy they'll make you seasick, a broken passenger door glas, a driver door glass with one corner chipped, two quarter glasses that look to be decent and no back glass.  This was all drop shipped from a place in Minnesota called Auto City Classic and after looking at their website, they only offer one quality level of glass which is priced roughly the same as Heartbeat City's cheap stuff.  I don't know if Heartbeat City actually sent my order to the wrong vendor or if they're just doubling the price of the cheap stuff and hoping people don't notice, but at this point it's been over 3 weeks since this junk arrived and 3 phone calls and an email with photographs have gotten no resolution to this.

Is there a source out there who sells high quality reproduction glass or is this the best the industry has to offer these days?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.
Deron

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Need a source for high quality reproduction glass
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 04:44:44 PM »
Deron, after researching the topic in some depth together with positive testimonial of other customers who I know, I purchased replacement glass directly from Auto City Classic a few months ago for my 1969 Z/28 project. Domestic manufacturing of classic car replacement glass ended when Pilkington discontinued its production a few years ago. Its now all off-shore and the glass I received from ACGCwas made in Taiwan. When comparing the replacement glass with factory installed original glass, I found the replacement was nominally thinner and the shape is not exact - but close. The off-dimensions didn't interfere with installation or general fitment which was good. You may want to reach to Auto City directly as I found them easy to work with and responsive.

Manufacturing tag

Side glass fitment

Rear glass fitment

anything