Author Topic: Door mirror restoration  (Read 2512 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Door mirror restoration
« on: October 21, 2022, 04:54:09 PM »
This question pertains primarily to a ‘69 Camaro/Corvette style door mirror.  Is there a safe method to separate a mirror body from the pedestal mount base, at the press joint, so that both components can be restored and chromed separately?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Dave

camaronut

• View Profile
Re: Door mirror restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 12:13:37 AM »
Well - you can, but it'll be nerve-racking at the least.  Pulling the stud that holds the mirror to the base - that's one.  Heat around the stud with a heat gun, then carefully spray the stud with something cold, like the propellant from canned air.  A couple of hits, with a soft mallet, it MIGHT pop out.

The mirror - some of us had luck by placing the mirror upside down in a bath of MEK, or other nasty solvents to release the glass from the metal.

If all the above works - consider yourself lucky.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 04:46:45 PM »
camaronut,

Thanks for your input.

I have successfully removed couple mirror glass pieces by soaking the mirror body in lacquer thinner overnight.   I use a 4"x8" tin bread pan and fill it with enough lacquer thinner to completely submerged the mirror body, and seal the pan with Serrand Wrap to minimize evaporation of the thinner. Once I am done, I can filter and recycle the lacquer thinner.  I prefer lacquer thinner over gasoline.  I use a narrow thin blade flexible tool wedged between the mirror and body to pick the mirror out by slicing thru the (4) blobs of RTV adhesive sealant towards the (4) corners of the mirror.  If the RTV sealant is exposed to lacquer thinner for about 24 hours, the mirror glass can be removed with little effort.  The tool is an old artist oil paint mixing blade (thanks Mon!). The closest alternative blade in thickness and size would be a feeler gage.   

One thought/suggestion to remove the mirror body from the pedestal mount:  Cut (2) pieces of plastic sheet material into a "U" shape (maybe plastic cut from a milk jug or antifreeze jug) and insert them about the stem of the swivel ball, against the mirror body and the rim face of the pedestal mount. Wedge and tap in two pieces of tapered wood shims in the joint to "press out" the swivel ball from the pedestal.  Using a heat gun to warm up the cup area on the pedestal may help. I'll look for pics from the last door mirror I restored, but the head of the swivel ball has fine serrations that slice, bite, and hold in the pocket of the pedestal mount when press together.    You can use JB Weld adhesive to reattached the ball stud in pedestal.   The trick is to separate this joint without damaging either component of the door mirror!

Dave

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 11:14:08 PM »
Dave, I think you're onto something!!!  Good luck!

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 01:51:29 AM »
I had used mineral spirits from info years ago on CRG. Did not have to worry about taking apart as Jon owner of custom chrome in Ohio took it apart to rechrome and then upon return I put it back together.
https://www.camaros.net/threads/time-for-another-68-z-28-to-be-restored.182584/page-30#post-1751726
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 03:24:16 AM »
Jon did my 68 remote as well, I did give it to him in pieces though. Best there is…

Steve

67/68Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 08:55:45 PM »
Hi,
Ive wanted to restore my 1967 remote mirror, date coded 10-DMI-6, with Joyce Borrell of 726 S.4th Ave Lebanon,PA as I heard about her at an NCRS show. However, no hint on how to get "glass" of of remote and she did not want me to send whole chrome unit to her. I'd be interested in name address of your chrome shop tip and how to separate mirror from unit 

67/68Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 09:09:33 PM »
Hi again,
I just tried to reach out to Joyce Borrell and I think an earlier poster is correct. She may be out of business. Can anyone in PA confirm? She did an excellent job with my 67 and 68 inside rearview mirrors. Look nice and have the correct Made in USA stamp which the repops don't. 
Looks like www.custommirrorrestoration.com which another poster also mentioned is likely the place to go now. They are in PA as well.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 01:32:05 PM »
Hi again,
I just tried to reach out to Joyce Borrell and I think an earlier poster is correct. She may be out of business. Can anyone in PA confirm? She did an excellent job with my 67 and 68 inside rearview mirrors. Look nice and have the correct Made in USA stamp which the repops don't. 
Looks like www.custommirrorrestoration.com which another poster also mentioned is likely the place to go now. They are in PA as well.
Yes she retired a couple years ago. Rear view mirror glass I purchase from Paragon Corvette and it goes in nicely. Not difficult to restore yourself as I’ve completed a few including our 68z. But be aware I once ordered the glass from another corvette well known vendor and it was larger than the original and no way would it assemble and had to return.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 05:16:17 PM »
All,

Thanks for the responses and input.

My test to separate the mirror body from the pedestal mount did not work.  I tried using a heat gun and light taps with a hammer on (2) tapered flat blade chisels (like a ball joint separator fork) rather than wood but that did not work to separate the mirror body from the pedestal. The serrated ball stud in this mirror is pressed too tight into the cup in the pedestal.  My process started to chip the chrome from the face of the cup, and I did not want to risk damage to the die cast pedestal...the piece I need to save! The mirror is an original part with the die cast seam still remaining along the middle area of the pedestal. This is a detail judges look for in Legends level judging so I am trying to salvage my original mirror. Unfortunately the ball joint is not tight and has allowed the mirror body to fold back against the cup (getting bumped under the car cover) and create a deep radial scratch about the mirror body, otherwise the chrome on both the mirror body and pedestal are in great shape.  My original mirror body can be restored and re-chromed but shops want the two pieces separate to eliminate the risk damaging the mirror...just as I discovered. 

I may order and install a repro correct date code replacement mirror glass and let the radial scratch go as is until I find a way or a shop who can safely separate the two pieces.  I may also consider purchasing a good quality reproduction mirror but would like to see the quality and accuracy before I purchase one.

Dave   

anything