Author Topic: "field" find  (Read 5749 times)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: "field" find
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 10:22:06 PM »
Goes to show us, their still out there......
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

X66

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 03:37:04 AM »
Definetly worth saving. Hope you get it. Awesome Super Bee. Always wanted a Superbird.

FRANKTHECRANK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 05:10:26 PM »
So how is everyone so positive that this car is in no way a long unaccounted for 302 Z28? Yes, the wife of the owner got the year wrong from what she "thought" the husband used to say, but what if she got the "302" part right?

With only those three photos to go by, and no photos of the 302 or engine bay, nor any pics of at least the 4 speed in an interior shot, that we know it should have, (even though that could have been changed over the years),...the car could have been painted so lack of stripes on the hood isn't a deal breaker, and we can't see the front of the fenders for any emblems...nor can we see the rear end, shocks springs, or any other tell tale signs that it is or is not a Z.

Are all 602 67 Z28s accounted for, and that why it has been mentioned that this can't be, or is not a Z28?

Or has the OP presented the VIN, data plate info, or other documentation showing it's a plain Jane, and I missed that?

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 09:17:59 PM »
You really can’t tell if it is a true Z28 or not from these pictures…you can however tell is not a RS or SS from these pictures.

FRANKTHECRANK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 10:14:51 PM »
You really can’t tell if it is a true Z28 or not from these pictures…you can however tell is not a RS or SS from these pictures.

Yes, I agree. But it was mentioned twice in this thread that it was obviously a plain Jane Camaro and it's not a Z28. I was just wondering if someone knew something I didn't about this particular Camaro, because like you said, those 3 photos definitely don't rule out it being a Z28.

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 01:19:01 AM »
My assumption, and it may be a poor one, is that a car in that spot, in that disrepair is wearing its original paint.  Hence my earlier statement about it not being a Z.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 02:42:52 AM »
I would get it. It is camaro i wouldn't care what kind of camaro it was!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2022, 04:36:26 PM »
So how is everyone so positive that this car is in no way a long unaccounted for 302 Z28? Yes, the wife of the owner got the year wrong from what she "thought" the husband used to say, but what if she got the "302" part right?

With only those three photos to go by, and no photos of the 302 or engine bay, nor any pics of at least the 4 speed in an interior shot, that we know it should have, (even though that could have been changed over the years),...the car could have been painted so lack of stripes on the hood isn't a deal breaker, and we can't see the front of the fenders for any emblems...nor can we see the rear end, shocks springs, or any other tell tale signs that it is or is not a Z.

Are all 602 67 Z28s accounted for, and that why it has been mentioned that this can't be, or is not a Z28?

Or has the OP presented the VIN, data plate info, or other documentation showing it's a plain Jane, and I missed that?

Since I was the first to comment on this car I will respond to your comment.  No where in my reply did I say it was 100% not a Z..  Read it again as I quoted myself for you.

Welcome and congrats on the potential purchase but that's a 67 (not a 69) and doesn't appear to be a Z.  I would suggest starting with the main page of the website and learning as much as you can before heading out to the car.

http://camaros.org/

Click on the tabs at the top of the page and look through "Numbers Decode", "Drivetrain Decode" and the rest of the tabs. 

So again from what the original poster shared it does not appear to be a Z.  I also gave helpful links for information to help the OP to learn for himself.  Don't make assumptions that I said it was "obviously" a plain jane.  I hope for the potential buyer that it is but I certainly do not want to mislead or get his hopes up.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone get excited or their hopes up and for instance say they have found their original block and then share photos and it be a restamp and then quickly the photos disappear.  So helping people without misleading them should be first and foremost.

jcabuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2022, 11:31:02 PM »
I wouldn't bring it inside your garage until you clean it out. Critters, spyders , bugs and God only knows what else you'll find inside it. But then if you are trying to get rid of your wife by all means bring it in!!
1969 Z28 X33 Tuxedo Black
2007 BMW Z4 Sapphire Black Metallic
2016 Ford F150 King Ranch Shadow Black

396 SS/RS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2022, 01:56:41 AM »
My bet is the floors and trunk are gone.
Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Some Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.

FRANKTHECRANK

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2022, 01:44:59 PM »

Since I was the first to comment on this car I will respond to your comment.  No where in my reply did I say it was 100% not a Z..  Read it again as I quoted myself for you.

Yes cook, I see your reply mentioned it "doesn't appear to be a Z28" so,... you are correct in saying that you never claimed it was 100% not a Z, but your post certainly implies and leans toward that conclusion,....along with the post below.

This particular car is going to be a base model car.  Not an SS and not a Z28. 

I just thought I was missing some more concrete evidence that others might have been aware of that I wasn't privy to. I love the finding a "hidden gem" story as much as the next guy, and would love to hear that this might indeed be a real Z. The paint being in such shape that makes it appear to be original, with no Z stripes, could very well be a repaint from any time during it's 55 year life,....a repaint from just 20, 30, 40 years ago, or 50 for that matter, could very well look like that if left outside in the elements all that time.

My 68 Z28 had no stripes on it when I bought it in 1981,...had the special paint denotation on the cowl tag that I thought might have meant "stripe delete". Only after finally tracking down the original owner who had the car until 1972 did I find out the special paint option was black Z28 stripes. He bought a cowl induction hood for it in 1970, and because he had to paint the hood, and he said the lower sides of the car had some sand blasting wear from the road, he decided to have the whole car painted, but didn't have the stripes redone. So, that car was painted and it was only 2 years old. Ya never know, especially looking at just 3 pictures.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2022, 01:59:16 PM »
To "imply" something is to strongly suggest something to be true.  Me saying it doesn't appear to be something from what was shared is not a strong statement more so that more info needs to be presented.  We are using semantics but please to not try to turn my words around.  I am not going to speak for anyone else but if you would like to discuss this further privately by all means pm me.

Also,
Since you brought up your 68 Z please share with the group its story.  I know its a very special car and great racing history.  Many of us would love to learn about the Bob Johnson 68 Z.  Maybe start a new thread so this one doesn't become more muddied than it already is.

FRANKTHECRANK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »
To "imply" something is to strongly suggest something to be true.  Me saying it doesn't appear to be something from what was shared is not a strong statement more so that more info needs to be presented.  We are using semantics but please to not try to turn my words around.  I am not going to speak for anyone else but if you would like to discuss this further privately by all means pm me.

Also,
Since you brought up your 68 Z please share with the group its story.  I know its a very special car and great racing history.  Many of us would love to learn about the Bob Johnson 68 Z.  Maybe start a new thread so this one doesn't become more muddied than it already is.

You're right, it is semantics, and I didn't think I turned anyone's words around, nor did I try to, and I am sorry you thought so, it was not my intension. I was merely stating what impression "I" got from those two posts, and how "I' perceived them. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, like I had said previously, I just wasn't sure if I had missed some info on the car.

Here's a link to the story of my Z. Enjoy.

https://www.camaros.net/threads/my-bob-johnson-1968-z28-from-scuncio-chevrolet.484666/#post-1783316682

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2022, 02:49:08 PM »
No worries and I replied to your Team Camaro thread.

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2022, 03:03:24 PM »
Correct.  I should have used softer language -- it's rarely a good idea to speak in such absolutes -- or, at the very least, state assumptions up front (rather than how I only later expressed those assumptions).  Cook's response was more measured than mine.  So, not the greatest communication on my part.

With only 602 made against 220,906 Camaros in 67 for a whopping 0.27%, it's almost always going to be correct to say, "Not a Z."  :D

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa