Author Topic: R and F firewall stamp  (Read 3577 times)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
R and F firewall stamp
« on: September 13, 2022, 08:03:16 PM »
From Hoopers 69 book. Anyone know what R is for? I searched first..
F is available too? What’s F for?
Are there more?

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: R and F firewall stamp
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 09:29:30 PM »
Hoopers books are worthless.  They show MANY wrong restos.  Toss it in the trash.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 10:48:25 PM »
That doesn’t answer my question. But if any of your books from 1991 to today have the correct information, please by all means link a copy here for me and everyone else to purchase.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 11:19:23 PM »
PBT are the Paint Body and Trim.  No R’s have been documented on original cars to date.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 11:22:14 PM »
Hoopers books are worthless.  They show MANY wrong restos.  Toss it in the trash.
Hold off on that folks.....roll them up with a string and use it to start a chimney fire.  Now its worth something.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 12:20:50 AM »
Thanks Cook…I was just thumbing through it  today and the R caught my eye. Not sure what and if it was even for, which is why I asked. I saw an F for sale from reputable online vendors. Was it green or orange? What does F stand for anyway?

https://www.camarocentral.com/1969_Firewall_Inspection_F_Marking_Stamp_p/enc-885a.htm

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 01:10:54 AM »
That book was Light years ahead of the Evergreen Press 1981 Book Camaro Chevy's Classy Chassis.

Kids and their 'Inner-Nets'
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 01:53:08 AM »
Thanks Cook…I was just thumbing through it  today and the R caught my eye. Not sure what and if it was even for, which is why I asked. I saw an F for sale from reputable online vendors. Was it green or orange? What does F stand for anyway?

https://www.camarocentral.com/1969_Firewall_Inspection_F_Marking_Stamp_p/enc-885a.htm

Possibly used on some other GM make? But here's an old thread that mentions a perceived F stamp - see post #53
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2346.45
One incorrect interpretation, and the myth is born. 

Wouldn't be the first (or likely last) time a vendor was selling items not correct for a first gen Camaro

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 02:34:39 AM »

David, orange is what is normally seen but green is seen also. Green is believed to have been 2nd shift. Take some time and research before buying/doing as you will save time and money. Some of what I did prior to putting on firewall.
https://www.camaros.net/threads/time-for-another-68-z-28-to-be-restored.182584/page-35#post-2177522
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 03:11:40 AM »
Thanks for that well road tested marking document. I actually use the orange ones at work, so I’ll probably go that route. Now I just need to find someone to rent me their stamps. It’s a 1 time deal for me. I do know where 1 is on my car. I found this and took a picture during the post wreck restoration.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 12:12:24 PM »
David,
If you go thru that book you will see spare tires painted wrong, various wrong stickers added where none should be there,  body paint errors, etc.  It has been a few years since I had Hoopers book but it was very frustrating to have spent money for such a bad reference.  I am in no way exaggerating here. 

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 04:38:13 PM »
Stingray,
I’m talking about the 69 book printed in 1991. Are you?

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 05:38:17 PM »
I bought the "Big Book of Camaro Data, 1967-1973" on May 2nd, 2001,  It was published April 2, 1995.  I may have seen one other book of his but do not remember the title.  It has been a few decades since I first looked at them.

Jerry MacNeish's books are great.  The AIM is a must have.  Colvin's "By The Numbers" books are great. Michael Lamm's (I have 5th printing, 1981) book is great too.

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2022, 06:37:01 PM »
Hope the 69 and 67/68 Legends Manuals rank up there. Lot of work went into them

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2022, 09:49:41 PM »
I have The Hooper book from 1991, Jerry's book, The new Judges Manual (2022), Colvin's Chevy by the numbers. Each book has its merits and its flaws. Chevrolet by the numbers while extremely accurate has a handful of loopholes and they're based on not enough info, or data points to confirm certain parts. The definitive 1969 Camaro guide, while good at the the time of publishing has some oversights and generalities that do not apply throughout the production year ( which some facts only became known after publishing). I have also gone through the new 1969 Judges legends manual and again good detail on some changes in production, but no part numbers on some changes, and some multiple version or interchanged parts and designs use through production isn't even mentioned for the Z or SS cars. When 100's of thousands of cars are produced and they have quotas to meet on getting cars out the door, they were not holding up many cars because there was a deviation from the norm. The X11 69Z car is rare occurrence , but many others smaller documented issues occurred during the production run. The main issue is these cars are a not "cookie cutter" type car with the many changes that took place, but when many readers see these books they are trying to restore their car thinking well this is the only way it could be done with this one part, because the book doesn't mention other parts or other cars that have different part numbers. I have seen a number of guys remove original parts from their car looking at Jerry's book thinking they were incorrect, to only find out later other cars built around there's to have those same parts they removed.

So to Pacecar, the Legends Manuals offer more info and a guide as the other books, but it really takes a lot of investigative work to pin down the right info on when a car was built and other similar time frame examples. the books are helpful, but still have a ways to go.
The R F stamps in Hoopers book was something that should not have been included. as Cook mentions no other examples have been found. As mentioned Vendors can sell anything, so don't trust them to get it right.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV