Author Topic: Black trim on a 67 RS/SS  (Read 1744 times)

Triple67

• View Profile
Black trim on a 67 RS/SS
« on: August 08, 2022, 02:04:58 PM »
Hi,  I'm a new member.  I saw a 67 RS/SS convertible at a show yesterday.  The windshield trim, RS rocker trim and the door handles were all low gloss black.  The bumpers were chrome.  I asked the owner what type of finish he had used on the trim to make it black.  He claimed it came from the factory that way and that it was a very rare option in 1967!  I've never heard of it before and several others I asked had not heard of it either.  Was the guy just screwing with me or was such an option available? 

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Black trim on a 67 RS/SS
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 02:15:37 PM »
Nope. Not an option. It was something that was done by a prior owner (or him).

Ed

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 03:31:53 PM »
[...] Was the guy just screwing with me or was such an option available? 
Those aren't the only two options available.  There are plenty of people out there that are inaccurate and incorrect without being maliciously so.  There's a difference in lying, "screwing with you," and simply being wrong.  My guess is the answer to your question is neither -- the guy wasn't screwing with you, but there definitely wasn't an option for that trim.

SS-327, t-tops, convertible Z/28 (outside the one unicorn '68), and factory 427s in 67/68 cars are just some of the more popular incorrect assertions about 1st Gen Camaros.  Few of those folks are devious liars.  Most are just blissfully ignorant.

Cheers.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

396 SS/RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »
[...] Was the guy just screwing with me or was such an option available? 
Those aren't the only two options available.  There are plenty of people out there that are inaccurate and incorrect without being maliciously so.  There's a difference in lying, "screwing with you," and simply being wrong.  My guess is the answer to your question is neither -- the guy wasn't screwing with you, but there definitely wasn't an option for that trim.

SS-327, t-tops, convertible Z/28 (outside the one unicorn '68), and factory 427s in 67/68 cars are just some of the more popular incorrect assertions about 1st Gen Camaros.  Few of those folks are devious liars.  Most are just blissfully ignorant.

Cheers.
Agreed, I was told about 35 years ago by a mechanic that my car was not a true SS. That you could not get a SS/RS combined. I just bit my tongue to stay quiet and moved on.
Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Some Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 06:50:18 PM »
RS option not available with the 6 cylinder
AC not available with the 6 cylinder
SS option available on any engine combination
I could go on and on….I’ve learned to be blissfully deaf to the know it alls.

And I don’t remember anything about black trim ever. Just chrome or polished stainless.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 11:12:19 PM »
"I could go on and on….I’ve learned to be blissfully deaf to the know it alls."

:o   :D

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 01:15:33 AM »
I need a Car show "T" shirt that says this WEb site address with a Large hand and index finger pointing to it.,,,,,,,,,,,

I try to be contrite and understanding of the general publics Camaro knowledge and often give a mild condescending "really,,,,,,,,that's so cool" answer with just enough attitude but not enough to cause a punching match.

I am still learning here which is a good thing.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS