Author Topic: Engine Restamp? 1967 350 MU to MV  (Read 1147 times)

67L48

• View Profile
Engine Restamp? 1967 350 MU to MV
« on: August 26, 2022, 05:09:30 PM »
Not sure if this falls into the "happened all the time" or "you have a big problem" bucket ... or somewhere in between.

But, in looking more closely at my engine block stamp, the engine was originally stamped as an MU (350/295, Automatic without smog).  Then, the "U" was dotted out with some sort of dimpled grid pattern ... like it was struck with a framer's hammer with waffled pattern.  Then, the "V" was stamped over the top.  MV being the 350/295, Automatic, with K19 Smog.  This car was a CA car -- I have the POP (sold in Hollywood/Los Angeles), the manifolds and block are all equipped with smog, the car came with the smog pump/equipment, etc.

The VIN matches and the date code aligns with the 11A build date of the car.

My thought was that they started to build this engine and then someone quickly realized, "Oh crap, this engine has the stupid smog stuff.  That needs an MV stamp, not an MU stamp.
 Johnson!  What the hell are you thinking?!" 

Any thoughts on this apparent restamp?

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Engine Restamp? 1967 350 MU to MV
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 05:29:52 PM »
That's pretty cool.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Engine Restamp? 1967 350 MU to MV
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 06:14:45 PM »
Its a restamp.  From the factory.  Has been noted in the past on other examples.  Not that common but the rest of the pad is legit so no reason to question that it was done at the plant.  Whether it was engine or vehicle I can not confirm.

anything