Author Topic: Blowing Fuses  (Read 938 times)

DuWayne Ladner

• View Profile
Blowing Fuses
« on: October 22, 2023, 06:43:34 PM »
My car is blowing fuses on my brake lights. Recent restoration and all new wiring harness throughout. Any quick check references would be appreciated. 69 SS396 L78.

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Blowing Fuses
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 06:54:46 PM »
Two  things come to mind, 1st remove rear bulbs one at a time, then isolate via trunk connector then brake pedal switch, have a BUNCH of fuses as hand.
See if and when it stops blowing fuse to try to isolate the problem then trouble shoot this section.

You NEED a good diagram at hand also. There is a Co that sell large format, color, laminated ones, that are easy to read and interpret
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

DuWayne Ladner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 11:14:18 PM »
Thanks 169Indy, failed to say the times it seems to be blowin fuse is when I actually drive it! All 3 blown after replacing them test brake pedal 2 or 3 times and works fine. But will try here in a bit to pull sockets and bulbs. Need to figure it out, cause I’m fixing to go LED in and out. Thanks again.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 11:40:36 PM »
While you testing in the driveway use your turn signals also. Might be a short in that wiring
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 10:41:41 AM »
This may be unrelated - while working on a friends Z28, the ashtray in the console was shorting out the leads going to the bulb in the rear - blowing a fuse - crazy deal.
Took us hours to find / stumble across.

Maybe its part of the brake light circuit. Worth checking.

DuWayne Ladner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 01:07:45 PM »
Thanks guys, and CamaroNut I did try the cig lighter the other day or wife did and May not be back in properly, will, check that in just a bit.  Thank ya so much for the help.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 02:02:07 PM »
DeWayne - I was talking about the ash tray in the console (if you have a console that is) - not dashboard - lol!
Good luck!

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 07:26:50 PM »
Do you have a schematic? I'm curious if it happens when you put in gear or when actually driving.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 02:18:21 AM »
Curious what the outcome will be.
This song has been stuck in my head all day.

DuWayne Ladner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 03:08:05 PM »
CamaroNut, thought I found the problem, eliminated it, and out new fuse in worked, with running lights on and turn signals on, but once I cranked up and took it for a spin came back, no brake lights and fuse blown. Do have the console ash tray with light, will check it also. So the problem I found was a severed line to the glove box button and light bulb. So I will try the console ash tray light, next. Thanks.  To DavidK, yes actually happens when I take it for a ride, and I return, no brake lights, blown fuse, and running lights and turn signals working! Go figure, eh David K. Thanks.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 04:39:18 PM »
DuWayne,

Take a look at the AIM - (provided by the good folks here at CRG) and take a look at the wiring schematic and see what's on that circuit.  Unhook the battery first - then take a DVM (set up to beep) and measure the continuity between the center of one of the rear taillights and the chassis (gnd) and move wires around that lead up to the the trunk wiring and see if you "hear" any continuity.  If its not around the trunk, with the DVM still on the taillight socket, remove the kick panel plates and move the wires around there - moving forward to the dash.  Push the console ashtray downward a little and see if something happens.  Are you using LED's?.............. that could be an issue too.

Good luck......

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2023, 06:18:17 PM »
Perhaps this will help.

Although at first glance it looks "busy", the color coding really helps trace out the circuits.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

DuWayne Ladner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 01:33:27 PM »
Camaro Nut, no sir on the LED’s, though I am considering going LED’s in the future and possibly Dakota gauges. My console lights and in dash lights very dim presently. 1 part of this restoration I am slowly not liking right now, between the cost of complete wiring new and labor for it to be installed is starting to pinch me harder than I want to be pinched. Hopefully come Monday car going back to 1 shop and guy can find the problem with it. Hey rich69rs thanks for the diagram got in in my pics. Thank all of ya, and CRG for the help.