Author Topic: Braided steel rope around 350 engine, 1967  (Read 4278 times)

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Braided steel rope around 350 engine, 1967
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 08:41:12 PM »
Danny ^^ Nicely written.
I also had taken ownership of my 396 car and It did in fact have the pair of devices on as obtained in 1983 by me, SO I took the attitude it was there just leave it on. It does come up in conversation at Car shows with the public and other show goers. I am not concerned about any judging.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 12:27:19 PM »
I owned a 65 Impala SS SB car with a powerglide which had a broken drivers side motor mount. Believe me on hard acceleration the motor did lift and pulled the throttle. Kind of scary when it happened. I got the recall letter but when I took it in they would not install the cable because I had headers, said it was modifyed. This was in 1971 I believe. I also remember cars where the fan would hit the shroud on cars with broken mounts.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 02:06:44 PM »
I bought my first 69 Z-28 used in 72, seller gave me the recall letter. Took it to my local dealer and they couldn't install cables because it had headers installed. They contacted zone office and they had them install new mounts. Must have been my lucky day.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 12:38:25 AM »
From someone who had his engine mount break without that cable in place - it's incredibly scary.  Luckily, I had the sense to slam the car in neutral.

tomstiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 03:25:53 PM »
I have survivor cars with 2 and with 1. I feel some installers got lazy and only did one side. And said to themselves, that's good, that will work. And went to the next one.

As far as removing it because it didn't come from the factory that way.... MCACN Vintage Certification does NOT subtract judging points if in place. I talked to Steve S about it, and he said he feels it is part of Chevrolet. Sure, it came later, but Chevrolet did it, developed it, sent the letter, and maybe they even did all the installs. I don't know if any of the work was farmed out. Maybe someone knows... So basically, overall, it's    "CHEVROLET"

NOW... we move to Mr. Jerry M   Who I have great respect.  I asked Jerry; he feels since it did NOT come on the car from NEW, that it shouldn't be on the car. At least during HIS judging. Of course, it can be put back on after inspection.

So there ya have it. 2 schools of thought on the subject. I have 2 cars missing both sides. I bought them and have to get them installed before they go up for sale. I have original dated letters and the envelopes they were sent in. So I want to do it.

Danny
so if you have a unrestored original with GM installed safety recall a deduction in points ??? who cares what Jerry thinks,,,,whats next a chastise for a dealer installed replacement engine???? get real

tomstiel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2022, 07:56:13 PM »
And after giving it some more thought,,,,cross ram and headers were never installed at the factory either,,,,deduction of points ????

anything