Author Topic: Dealer Over the Counter Tachometer late 60’s  (Read 1463 times)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Dealer Over the Counter Tachometer late 60’s
« on: August 04, 2022, 04:24:43 AM »
Thought I would share my latest addition. I picked this gem up in Carlisle Pa back in the early 90’s and finally got the itch to install. It was definitely rough, but some TLC and elbow grease was all it took. I took some scouring the web to even find anything about this, (and found it some here on CRG-see the link below) and fortunately found a few pictures of the mount, screws,
If your car didn’t come with a tach, but you wanted one because your friend had one in his car, the dealer offered this. This tach came in 2 versions. Chevy Bow tie on the top or GM stamped…this being the Bow tie. Originally intended for 8 cylinder cars, it fits just fine on the ole 6 banger. I was thinking years ago about the the console gauge conversion, but got squirreled. Fortunately it worked when I tested it, and the light looks cool at night. Installing it took some ingenuity, and some custom adjusted tools with the windshield installed due to limited space, but well worth with it. I can’t recall ever seeing one installed.
Thanks to Abiddle for the post from 2015 for without this wouldn’t have been successful.

Chuck-68-Cam

• It is what it is
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer Over the Counter Tachometer late 60’s
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 06:15:40 PM »
NICE!!
Chuck

68 Camaro SST 350/TH400

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 07:43:26 PM »
Right Angle Drill?
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 01:30:17 AM »
Indy…I actually used a 90 degree adapter with a drill bit that had a 1/4” bit insert.. I cut half of the 1/4 “ length to make it short enough to fit inside. Had to use a 90 degree die grinder with a carbide bit to make the hole large enough for the wiring. You get 1 shot to get it right, and once you start you have to finish.

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:26:33 PM »
Nice work David. I really dug into this many years ago, and I don't remember now if I told the story of removing this from my dash and throwing it away when I bought this camaro. Years later stumbling across a picture of this dealer tach and realizing the mistake I made. Holes were still in the dash, soI bought a few of these and pieced a new one together. I even bought wire to rebuild the wiring in the same colors as the original setup. Here's mine.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 03:13:11 AM »
The night life!