Author Topic: Painting the RS grill  (Read 4623 times)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Painting the RS grill
« on: August 01, 2022, 12:05:23 AM »
Mine is an 11E build, so after researching/asking what to color it with, I decided to give it a go. Using actual paint, a small brush and not a pen. Tomorrow I’ll be cleaning up the overpainted area, and evening out any ugly discrepancies. It will never be a judged car and I’m ok with that.

67stripper

• View Profile
Re: Painting the RS grill
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 02:40:12 AM »
Looks good David.

What kind of paint and brush did you use?

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 02:46:39 AM »
Thanks…A $.94 bag of bulk thin paint brushes from Walmart and a rattle can do Rustoleum Chrome..kid you not. It was this, pay for a new replacement set that may not fit as designed, or pay a pinstripe guy $150. The whole process took about 1 hour.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 11:53:09 AM »
I don't recall the thickness of the ribs but if its 1/16" this would be an option.  Granted more time consuming but maybe worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Chartpak-Graphic-Inches-Metallic-BG6219/dp/B004O7E11E?th=1

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 02:46:34 PM »
Thanks cook…but I do some striping installs at work, and they look good from 2 feet way. From 20, I’m embarrassed sometimes. 🤷🏻‍♂️🫣😆. Actually my visual external application parts have to be almost perfect every time.
I could mess this chrome striping up easily, and that’s why I painted it, but thanks for the possibility of plan B. Also, I would be dumb enough to scrub it off when washing the car. But someone reading this might try the decal application. When the restoration was done in 93/4, I don’t remember the chrome grill being available.
I forgot the grill has a raised horizontal rib, but the doors do not. That definitely made it easier to paint. And if someone is close enough to critique or criticize, they are too close anyway. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😆
I’ll post final product pictures.

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 07:40:47 PM »
I clearcoated mine for added durability. Just sprayed it, no need for masking the grill. I did mask the headlight covers. Has held up well. Sometimes the clear will alter the brightness of some silver paints, so might want to do a test first.

I'm interested in that tape in Darrell's link. Wonder how durable it'd be? I'm guessing it'd peel off eventually...
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 08:06:31 PM »
Lemmeee see it.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 08:08:37 PM »
Not bad…will probably look better after I wash the car. Took 20 minutes to remove the uglies.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 08:16:47 PM »
Actually, in my opinion, that turned out really well! And since we don't usually drive our cars that often, at least not as much as when they were new, it should hold up for a long time.

Ed

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 08:53:04 PM »

Lemmeee see it.
Suppose ya want a close up, huh? :D I'll see what I can do... probably need some side marker bezel shots too! ;D
Garth

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 01:29:43 AM »
It's been over 20yrs ago since I painted the grill. It was NOS and did it long before I ever put it on the car. So memory is a bit foggy, but thinking now I did mask the grill as well. It doesn't have to be stuck to the horizontal ribs, just the verticals. Don't hold the can too close when spraying. Silver paint from a rattlecan generally isn't very durable. Any weak solvent will dissolve it instantly. I imagine bug guts would do the same. So, I recommend a clear coat...

EDIT: Don't know why the imagine didn't come out right side up. ???

Garth

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 05:05:18 AM »
Thanks Ed….Gars…I didn’t mask anything because of the paint brush. I was looking for a chrome Sharpie, but couldn’t find anything but Aluminum….But now with my new engine component inspection stamps and ZL1 hubcaps 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️, it’s looking better than yesterday. My left side headline cover looks like it was molded by a drunken pirate…..zoom in on the picture and look in the top row 3 boxes. It’s not your eyes, it’s crooked. Stand by for the next project thread very soon and it will be fully documented from start to finish.

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 07:42:54 AM »
 I'm thinkin' that drunken pirate did a number yur license plate?!  ;D lol

Anyway, NICE JOB! :)

Garth

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 12:44:12 PM »
I've used the Molotow Liquid Chrome in the past with good success on bezel surrounds and 69 dash clusters.

No afflation with the seller.  I'm sure I bought mine from ebay but can't recall the sellers name.

https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Marker-Set/dp/B074JJ1YMY/ref=asc_df_B074JJ1YMY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198059285915&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8570686530842529220&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013191&hvtargid=pla-355627019998&psc=1

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 05:11:15 PM »
I forgot the grill has a raised horizontal rib, but the doors do not.

Thats because they are '67 doors. Production '68s have raised horizontal ribs.
Learning more and more about less and less...