Author Topic: The Rabbit Hole of Documentation  (Read 1094 times)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
The Rabbit Hole of Documentation
« on: August 06, 2022, 04:04:14 PM »
If you have never clicked on the box in the upper left corner of the page, I highly encourage you to do so. It is sometimes information overload but incredibly educational. Pick a box, dive in,be educated, pick another box, and so on.

Check out this nugget I copied from there, as I was shocked by the 2nd sentence and had to reread it.

Chevrolet Assembly - Front Sheet Metal Subassembly
All the color-painted exterior front sheet metal panels, plus the black-primed radiator support, inner fenders, and center grille support and the low-bake painted grille were conveyed to the sheet metal assembly area; all were in "Broadcast" sequence, matching the sequence of bodies on the main assembly line. Option holes for engine emblems, antennas, Vigilite housings, nameplates and moldings were pierced in large hydraulic fender piercing fixtures before the fenders were placed in the assembly fixtures.

So I guess it’s ok to punch out a hole in a perfectly good painted fender. Who knew.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Re: The Rabbit Hole of Documentation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 05:07:45 PM »
And this! Colored wax!

The next station was the balancer, which dropped a glob of hot wax on the tire at the weight location, and the color of the wax denoted the size of the weight required. The weights were applied manually, and the tires were delivered via overhead roller conveyors to the wheel install station on the Final Line.

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: The Rabbit Hole of Documentation
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 02:11:44 PM »
Any advice I would give to anyone wanting to learn about 1st gen Camaros would be to go to www.camaros.org (same as the tab in the upper left hand corner). Do this before you ever make a post.  Read everything you can; study it, write down questions, and then read it again.  If you still have questions go the forums main page and click on the search tab and try using the search function.  If you use the search bar in the upper right of any forum page it will only search that page that you use the search bar.  Example.  If you are reading this and you go to the search bar in the upper right and type in a search that isn’t in this thread it will come back with no results found.  However if you go back to the forum main page and do the same search using the search bar in the upper right you will get better results.  I’ve considered doing a few short tutorials to help people use the forum to their advantage but haven’t had the time as of yet. 

anything