Author Topic: 1969 Camaro Dash Fiber Optics  (Read 1619 times)

Krateness

• View Profile
1969 Camaro Dash Fiber Optics
« on: July 04, 2022, 11:17:45 AM »
Hey everyone,

Came upon a question as I was labeling up my AAW factory fit harness. I bought it from another supplier so I didn’t have AAW build it for me which meant there were a few differences. The main one came in the tach side light bulb socket. The original harness had a socket like the one, circled in green, made for 2 fiber optic wires to piggyback off of. The car I’m doing is a column shift automatic so it’s my assumption both of these would have fed into the shift selector needle and gear indicator P/R/N/D/L1/L2 bar. When purchasing things to do my interior I bought fiber optic wire and bulb socket for the ashtray as this is all I could find for how you had an ash tray light. Because there’s not any dedicated wires on my original harness for an ash tray light and the fact that I only had 2 ports for fiber optics (not a 3rd anywhere for the ash tray to tap into) is it safe to say that the car never had one? I just always assumed it was a standard option

Thanks
Andy

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro Dash Fiber Optics
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 12:01:19 PM »
Interesting question!  I thought the 69 column indicator only had one fiber optic line.  Do you have a pic of the two lines?

Although I have an ashtray fiber options in my parts stash, I am not sure if it is original. It has a connection that fits into the fuel top plate in the rectangle where there is normally black tape. Not in the light socket.

Krateness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 12:33:14 PM »
Sure thing. You can see where I plugged the 2 wires into. The lines were removed still attached to the harness so I’m not completely sure where each end was attached to originally. Either due to negligence of not paying attention during removal or straight up forgetting lol.

Thanks
Andy

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 03:09:58 PM »
Thanks!  Learn something every day! Now that I see that, the memory is coming back.  Both those lines should fit into that black socket at 45 degrees on either side.  IMO, so when looking straight on to the tach socket, bulb is down, electrical wires are up, longest fiber line is on the pass side, shorter fiber line to the drivers side.   

So here is the ashtray fiber optic's I have.  I know it's a 69 version since it is still attached to the top plate. I would really like to know how it was mounted on the ash tray side.  The fiber optic just has a ribbed rubber tube attached.  thx

Krateness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 03:19:46 PM »
I will admit that the spot that the fiber optic wire is clipped into on the metal plate was open and empty when I did my disassembly. Both of my original gauge housing top plates showed evidence of tape being present at one point or another. My guess is that it was gone before I got to it or I lost it lol. Going to have to see if I can find one of those retainer clips it looks like. I’ve found a part number but haven’t found anything for it being sold. Looks like a 3D printing job lol.

Thanks for the help
Andy
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 04:23:50 PM by Krateness »

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 02:26:02 PM »
This is what you need on the ashtray side of the fiber end. These are on ebay - type this in:  20 pcs barrel clips tubular nuts- emblem/trim- fit 3/16" stud- 7/32" hole- g#014

There's a hole in the ashtray assembly that is over the ashtray itself.  You'll see it.  Put the fiber in one end then clip into the hole.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 05:42:37 PM »
The ashtray light came with Z87 dlx interior. And ZJ9 lighting, which was cheaper if you had Z87.
Kurt S
CRG

anything