Author Topic: At a loss - engine stalls under load  (Read 9854 times)

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: At a loss - engine stalls under load
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2022, 09:40:27 PM »
To me it sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Hard to hear with a BB at 1,000 RPM. I think you might have caused it during your carb change. Does the different carb have a port not used?
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2022, 12:36:43 AM »
primaries are bone dry at idle.  With old carb that Eric worked on, I had 14.5" vacuum.  New carb is 5 inches of vacuum.  I haven't reached out to Eric yet but probably will once I get done with Camaro Nationals and Supercar reunion.
KK, I'll double-check on the unused port thing in the morning.
1969 427 COPO Camaro Lemans Blue/Black, M22 4 speed, 15,500 original miles

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2022, 02:17:45 AM »
Update....I sent the carb to Eric who found a few minor issues plus found the rear float was set near the bottom of the bowl.  He said that would definitely cause my stalling at heavy throttle.  At one point I had checked the float level in both bowls and set them to the bottom of the sight screw hole but obviously jacked something up.  I won't have the carb back in time for the SuperCar reunion but think I have it running good enough to do a few smoky burnouts and take a couple of easy passes with it.  It's been roughly 50 years since this car made its debut on the strip as Rat's Nest 8)

WaltZ

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2022, 05:07:44 PM »
Just throwing this out there.
After the floats checked, try increasing the squirter size +2 and test for any difference in stumble,
if it's better, then try the next accelerator cam up, try again and if the stumble is lessening, try the next couple of cams.
Had this stumbling and sometimes stalling issue with my stock 302 and when bumping up the accelerator cam, it took care of the stumble and stalling, therefore it was starving for fuel during load and acceleration by the pump cam curve not being enough.
It may be a good idea read and understand how these cams can affect your performance, for better or for worse.
Been thru it and I know your frustrations. Sometimes it just the simple checks we overlook.
Good Luck

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2022, 11:37:55 PM »
Got the carb re-installed and it is 100% better so I guess I can confirm that I "jacked it up" somewhere along the line.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2022, 01:23:02 AM »
Glad it’s fixed. Refer to post #13 for the possible issue cause.

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2022, 11:18:21 PM »
One more update....periodic stalling problem under moderate to heavy load continued.  Took it to a chassis dyno so we could troubleshoot under load.  Dyno guy has been tuning engines and using a dyno for over 20 years - after 3 hours he's scratching his head.  Because the stalling was so immediate (like turning the key off), he decided to temporarily install an MSD distributor and MSD box to effectively bypassed my entire ignition system.  Viola!  problem disappeared.  Made another jet adjustment and some other tweaks and the car has "woken up" pulling well to 5,500 rpm.
So the problem is on the inbound side of my coil.  Ultimately found a melted wire that goes to the positive side of the coil.  I'm not sure I understand why that condition caused the symptoms to be what they were as a melted wire is melted at both low and heavy throttle.  What I do know is when we took it out of the circuit, the problem went with it!

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2022, 04:44:44 PM »
Awesome. Where was the coil wire melted? Near a heat source?

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2022, 07:35:10 PM »
It was melted from the coil back into the taped bundle of wires that runs along the firewall.  I haven't opened the tape up to see how far back it's bad

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2022, 06:03:12 PM »
Do we get pictures?

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2022, 06:15:44 PM »
Here's a couple of pics....melted at the coil and at the firewall box, so assume it's melted in between as well.  I'm bummed that my original harness is toast.  New harness has differences despite claims of being factory correct.  Oh well, some parts don't last forever and on the bright side I didn't start my car on fire!

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2022, 06:23:37 PM »
Well that’s not pretty, BUT, you might be able to unpin the wire from the block and replace it. There’s enough used harness parts so finding an original is easy.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2022, 10:57:56 PM »
My Electrical Apprentice Instructor reminded us.
P=I2R
Power Equals Amps Squared times Resistance.

We all know the function of that wire is to voltage drop (IR) by way of resistance some of the available voltage to the primary winding and the points to preserve point life.
The cost is Heat that is dissipated by the length of resistance wire.

I have not found a vendor source that is selling raw lengths of GM applicable resistance wire & the Harness vendors plainly state they do not sell "Parts" i.e. various connectors, terminals and wire. So Harvesting a Donor harness to obtain a used acceptable chunk of wire to repair your existing harness might be in order.

This is Where I obtain terminals, connectors and tooling for Harness repairs.

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_packard_terminals.asp
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2022, 10:49:21 PM »
My frustration has peaked.....installed a new harness to replace the melted coil wire and the symptoms still exist.  I need someone with a logical mind to help me out.  The symptoms disappeared on the dyno once we swapped out to an MSD distributor and box..  Found the melted wire as stated in the above posts so assumed that was the culprit - apparently not.
Does this mean my root cause issue is "upstream of the firewall connection?

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2022, 11:37:42 PM »
I THINK you need to find out why the wire melted.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

anything