Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 1547 times)

Richard 302

• View Profile
Looking for advice
« on: July 01, 2022, 11:32:15 PM »
Hi. I'm a new member but an old guy. I really don't know what to do and am looking for some advice.  In the spring of 1977 I purchased a 68 Z/28 in Des Moines IA. At the time it had 72.000 miles on it.  It was smoking a bit and needed a some oil with every tank of gas as I recall.  My local mechanic told me it was tired and needed a rebuild.  He also informed me that Chevrolet was unloading their inventory of fitted 302 blocks at that time (77 or 78) and it might be a better idea to buy a new fitted block that to rebuild the original engine so that's what we did.  Soon thereafter I had a chance to buy a rebuilt M21 transmission so I bought it and stored away the original muncie along with the original engine.  Fast forward 45 years and I'm considering rebuilding the original engine.  However. in light of the fact that I'm an old man and getting older every day, I'm also considering selling the car.  Here's my question.  Would it be better to rebuild the original engine, reinstall it in the car with the original transmission and sell it that way or is it better to let some future buyer rebuild the engine and refresh the original transmission?  Thanks for you time and consideration.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 11:39:44 PM »
If you need to sell it, and can't do the work yourself, then sell it as is but carefully list that you have the original engine and transmission to go with it..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 12:25:11 AM »
(My Opinion:) No if your future is a "sale", It would be best to keep your Sunk costs as low as possible. However the nitty gritty details of this Factory installed drivetrain portions would be best preserved and included for the next restorer to 'deal with' while (the Parts) being used to conclusively document the car and thus maximize your potential gains.

i.e. Say you get the work done and someone decks the block and removed important supporting data points.
i.e. Say you get the work done do you really realize Dollar for Dollar of expense.

Welcome to the Site.

As always we are F-body Car "FOAMERS" & enjoy even just photos of your long term vehicle.

wishing you the best.

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 03:35:29 AM »
Sell the original with the car.
Sell the other block and make someone who’s doing a restoration happy. Spread the love of solid lifters.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 06:06:49 PM »
The car is most valuable with the drivetrain it left the factory with and you have that. Now you have two options. Sell it with the existing drivetrain and offer the original for added cash, or sell it with the original drivetrain and then sell the other drivetrain you obtained in the mid 70's to them or someone else looking for a factory bore 302 and transmission. I would wait on others with more expertise to help guide you along, but DO NOT LET IT GO FOR CHEAP. You have a very desirable car and don't let anyone tell you differently. And as far as rebuilding the original engine. I wouldn't. Let the buyer be out that expense and that way if the numbers somehow gets ground off, then it's on them and you won't have to deal with lowball offers just because of it. Good luck and hate to see you get read of your baby.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 11:42:20 PM »
Hi Richard, imho the easiest and most practical since u mentioned being matured a couple times lol, join the club, is sell it as it sits with the original engine and trans. Let someone else go thru rebuilding cost and time to change over BUT you need to complete some investigation work to fully show what other important components car was born with. The original alternator, carb, and distributor can have a huge impact on value so complete that investigation work and prepare a worthwhile for sale ad. If u need any help send me a pm and will help with your date codes etc.. Good luck and welcome aboard....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

X66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 12:05:43 AM »
Always sell with the original engine. Having the original engine for your Camaro is a big plus.