Author Topic: 1969 302 headers with working reverse lock out linkage and power steering  (Read 6147 times)

plumL78

• View Profile
I have hooker headers . I took my orig. bellcrank off and bought a ropo one . turn it around backwards and cut one arm off and welded it back where it needed to be  to work. I believe i also made the rod to the tranny a little longer becaused the bellcrank lever is futher away once it turned around.  That was 20+ years ago and still on the car working

vabeach56wagon

• View Profile
Can you share the PN and specs of the Hooker headers?

Thanks

paul

melav8r

• View Profile
Buy a reproduction bell crank (#3 in AIM) and cut off the arm/lever which attaches to the reverse rod (#6 in AIM) and weld it to the side closest to the frame. Basically reweld the arm outboard away from the header.
And I also run power steering.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Here's pics (not the clearest) of my 69 Z with Doug's 1 5/8 Headers. Fit without any issues. I used to have hooker headers, and I had to make a slightly modified bell crank to clear, but with the Doug's there were no issues.
Jimmy V.

plumL78

• View Profile
no part # on my headers just says hooker competiton

red69

• View Profile
Thank-you for the info, I've been running my car without lockout linkage since 1975. On my list to modify now!

WaltZ

• View Profile
Great replies and pictures. not sure when I will get to this, but when I do, I'll be sure to post the updated steps I uses to accomplish this.
I am still deciding on which headers to use, I would prefer to use the 1968 Z28 headers as first posted. 

Stingr69

• View Profile
That is just so darn simple....I wish I had known that 40 years ago.  I run a smog type setup currently so I don't need it today, but who knows?  I still have some headers....  8)

Great post.

WaltZ

• View Profile
Re: 1969 302 headers with working reverse lock out linkage and power steering
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2022, 03:49:40 PM »
installed Hooker Super Comp Headers #2131HKR on my 69 Z with power steering.
Fit pretty well with a minor pinch for the pitman arm screw and nut and another minor pinch for steering box clearance.
Pinched done with a block and a hd C clamp.
Factory Lock Out linkage no alterations needed and plenty of clearances.
The head shields went back on also.
By now, you think hooker would supply the 3/8 x 5/16 head header bolts instead of the 3/8 x 3/8. added another $25.00 with shipping for arps for 6pt heads
And why can't they have the necessary bends or pinches so they can just be installed with no alterations.
Otherwise, Happy with them!
Pictures are before I changed out the header bolts to the 5/16 heads.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 04:19:15 PM by WaltZ »

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2022, 04:08:37 PM »
Part # ?

WaltZ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2022, 04:33:42 PM »
2131 HKR
replaced recall lift kit with this one I fabricated

johnny_slade

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2022, 12:17:54 AM »
I would appreciate seeing the pictures also, please. I am currently working on a 69 Camaro 4 speed and lost the reverse lockout swivel bracket that mounts onto the subframe.

johnny_slade

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2022, 01:59:32 AM »
I discovered this community a couple weeks ago and was all over this post... but no pictures appeared until now. Thank you for all this valuable info as I put my engine back in my fine 69 Camaro.

I would appreciate seeing the pictures also, please. I am currently working on a 69 Camaro 4 speed and lost the reverse lockout swivel bracket that mounts onto the subframe.

anything