Author Topic: 1969 302 headers with working reverse lock out linkage and power steering  (Read 2491 times)

plumL78

• View Profile
I have hooker headers . I took my orig. bellcrank off and bought a ropo one . turn it around backwards and cut one arm off and welded it back where it needed to be  to work. I believe i also made the rod to the tranny a little longer becaused the bellcrank lever is futher away once it turned around.  That was 20+ years ago and still on the car working

vabeach56wagon

• View Profile
Can you share the PN and specs of the Hooker headers?

Thanks

paul

melav8r

• View Profile
Buy a reproduction bell crank (#3 in AIM) and cut off the arm/lever which attaches to the reverse rod (#6 in AIM) and weld it to the side closest to the frame. Basically reweld the arm outboard away from the header.
And I also run power steering.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Here's pics (not the clearest) of my 69 Z with Doug's 1 5/8 Headers. Fit without any issues. I used to have hooker headers, and I had to make a slightly modified bell crank to clear, but with the Doug's there were no issues.
Jimmy V.

plumL78

• View Profile
no part # on my headers just says hooker competiton

red69

• View Profile
Thank-you for the info, I've been running my car without lockout linkage since 1975. On my list to modify now!

WaltZ

• View Profile
Great replies and pictures. not sure when I will get to this, but when I do, I'll be sure to post the updated steps I uses to accomplish this.
I am still deciding on which headers to use, I would prefer to use the 1968 Z28 headers as first posted. 

Stingr69

• View Profile
That is just so darn simple....I wish I had known that 40 years ago.  I run a smog type setup currently so I don't need it today, but who knows?  I still have some headers....  8)

Great post.

anything