Author Topic: Mecum Indy  (Read 3313 times)

usa1ti

• View Profile
Mecum Indy
« on: May 20, 2022, 11:47:00 AM »
Anyone catch Mecum Indy last night? The Daytona yellow unrestored driver 69Z lot T140. Brought $85,000 and did not sell.... No JL8, Crossram or 10 10 black....
Todd, East TN

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mecum Indy
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 02:39:01 PM »
Thats why you pay up to get a late Friday or Saturday slot. Ring looked fairly empty, a few bottom-feeders.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Fred Mertz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 11:37:56 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that Mecum and BJ almost always go to a commercial when a 1st Gen. Camaro can be seen coming up to the block?

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 02:15:49 AM »
^^Yes!^^
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 05:00:45 AM »
I’m proud to be a bottom feeder. A deal is a deal if I want the car.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 04:21:36 PM »
If anyone can post the results from the 67-9, I would appreciate it. I saw the Pace car on YouTube.

mgreenz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 03:23:48 AM »
Here’s a link to Mecum Indy search results. There are 84 results for first gen Camaros which are accessible when you create a free account and login. (don’t know if it’s possible to post the results)
https://www.mecum.com/search/page/1/
I follow 67 results, 68’s to some degree and 69’s not so much but this auction did amaze me with the number of high performance 67’s crossing the block. I was looking forward to Saturday morning only to find that “The 1967 Z28 Collection” didn’t make the telecast cut.
___
Terry

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 04:46:51 PM »
Hello All,

I live in Indianapolis and attend Mecum Indy every year. Indy is a very large auction stop for Mecum which draws between 2500 - 3000+ vehicles, and many are outstanding muscle cars.  Mecum Indy is a very large car show for me and I attended twice last week. The quality of the cars runs from mediocre to outstanding as do the resulting auction sell prices.  In other words, there is something for everyone. Mecum is held at the Indiana State Fair Grounds which has numerous large building along with huge temporary tents set up full of cars, trucks, motor cycles, and Artomobilia.

I studied the yellow survivor '69 Z28 closely as its Norwood build date is only a few week before my 05A RS '69 Z28.  I was amazed at how original and untouched 95% - 98% condition of this "gold mine" Camaro!  I took nearly 100 pictures including trim tag, exterior, interior, trunk views (for color and splatter paint patterns and application of the sound deadener), original spare, jack, under hood (including correct placement of the spark plug shields, colors and finishes, etc.), and door jams to mention a few.  What was really interesting is the original owner had this Camaro while attending college. The Camaro still has the college parking permit decals in the rear window! 

Quick Stats:
VIN 124379N630018
04C build X77 Camaro
NOR 303401 Fisher Body Sequence No.
33661.2 miles

I have many more pictures I can share if you care to see them.  PS: I thought if I spent too much more time photographing this car they were going to make be bid on it...lol.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 04:48:43 PM »
Another group of pics...

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 04:49:59 PM »
And a few more.

I love finding survivors like this!

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 04:54:12 PM »
One last comment for now...

Notice above the trim tag where the body did not get painted yellow or with firewall black exposing the sheet metal to surface rust. This Camaro had this issue along the top edge of the fire wall!

Of course we don't do this when we restore them...correct!?! ;)

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 06:17:14 PM »
It did end up selling. It was at $85,000 and the bid goes on and sold off the floor at $132,000.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 07:32:07 PM »
Interesting.  It is quite a time capsule for those that want that type of car.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 08:28:23 PM »
Just a few other observation on this yellow Z28 survivor:

It had what looked like gray primer on the bottom of the body but it was the probably the stages of gray phosphate body dip plating Fisher Body did once the body in white was completed. There was a considerable amount of yellow overspray on the bottom of the side.

Include the Kelsey Hayes brake line pressure regulator valve on the frame (under the drivers side) dated "050 9"

Flat hood was dated "13" for the 13th week in 1969

Driver's side spark plug heat shields were attached to the brackets via screws, and the pass side heat shields were spot welded to the brackets (a restoration mistake I see often)

The front and rear engine lift brackets were not painted Chevy Orange, but had hints of orange overspray on them (other restoration mistake I see), as well as some orange overspray higher up on the front intake manifold (must have been a bent/damaged mast when Flint spayed the engine)

Rear center bumper bracket riveted to the bumper

The rounded body contour around the rear window stainless trim on the pass side was not neatly gapped near the stainless (much like my 05A Norwood Camaro)

Original truck deck lid decals - jack instruction and the limited slip decal, and tire iron still attached to the jack stand with about a 12" long rubber sleeve

Sloppy black paint visible thru the rear spoiler access holes, and the yellow paint on the flat end tips of the studs, and the flat round truck lid bumpers

Dark gray/black front fender body shims...not bright silver CAD

Correct/original T-studs and U-bolts and nuts on the rear spring mounting hardware

Shock were older replacements...not the original spiral groove shocks

Rear leaf spring shackles were originally painted black, not bare steel

Small and large diameter truck lid torsion bars for a Camaro that originally came with a rear spoiler

The yellow vs truck splatter paint spray pattern and the black card board divider between the rear body structure and the seat back

An original yet rusty spare tire rim that was originally black primed with Argent Siler overspray...not gray primer (another restoration mistake)

Original style rear electrical light wiring harness clips along the driver's side rear fender well pinch weld

Sound deadener application on the inner rear fenders

The black overspray patterns when the stripes were painted on the car and how the "Camaro" emblem fits inside the RH side stripe on trunk lid

Various hardware used on the body and interior

The way the LH plate was welded to the rear frame for the exhaust bracket

The way the gaskets fit behind door handles and locks

Number and spacing of the spot welds around the rear outer fender to inner fender well

I ran out of time and did not get date codes on all the components, but they appeared to be within about a  week of the car's trim tag build date...not weeks before that date

Many cool detail to observer on this Camaro!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 03:14:22 AM by KurtS »

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 09:59:14 PM »
Sorry for the typos: trunk not truck, shims not ships.