Author Topic: 1969 Z28 Power Steering is WAY too easy. Any ideas to add “road feel”  (Read 1545 times)

Badshifter

• View Profile
All of my 69s steering components are original, pump, box, pulleys, pitman arm. It seems I’ve read that all the power steering boxes are the same, and the long pitman arm on Z 28s and others are what quickens the steering. My problem/complaint is that it takes almost no effort to turn the steering wheel, like one finger will spin the steering wheel effortlessly and the car is twitchy to drive at speed. I’d like to have the original box rebuilt and the rebuilder says the “torsion spring” can be replaced with one of a different size/value to increase steering effort, or road feel. Anyone have any info or thoughts on this?

Edit box casting number 5691676.
1969 Z28 X77 09C

Stingr69

• View Profile
Tom Lee tried to get me to make a valving change when he overhauled my steering box 20 something years ago.  I wish I would have listened to him.  The box comes apart for that so it might be a job for a pro.

Sauron327

• View Profile
If you are not used to these cars and drove them daily for decades that is what the steering feels like. Have it rebuilt with a different ratio. Or upgrade to an IROC box or other companies who offer quality boxes. Most people today never owned an old car and work on them daily.

Badshifter

• View Profile
Thanks guys. I spoke to Mike today at Lee Power Steering and will send the box to him. My high school car in 1979 was a 1966 Chevelle SS 4 speed. Been driving and building old cars my entire life so I'm used to them. I just want more road feel with no change in external original look. Thanks again.
1969 Z28 X77 09C