Author Topic: DOOR PANEL WATER SHIELD VINYL POCKETS ???  (Read 1168 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
DOOR PANEL WATER SHIELD VINYL POCKETS ???
« on: May 07, 2022, 01:19:06 AM »
After buying and returning repro door panel water shields that were terrible, I decided to make my own out of 6 mil vinyl.

The original factory water shields had a vinyl pocket covering the opening in the water shield for the door opening mechanism that pops through it. The screws attaching the interior door handle to the mechanism went right through the vinyl pocket.

I've looked at several repro water shields online and haven't seen one that had the vinyl pocket. Just a hole for the mechanism to go through.

So I'm wondering what others might have done to replicate that vinyl pocket. I know, if I wanted to, I could just cut up a sandwich bag and tape it over the hole in the water shield and be ok but was looking for something a little better than that.

Thanks........Dave

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: DOOR PANEL WATER SHIELD VINYL POCKETS ???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 03:53:53 PM »
Its way thicker mil plastic than any sandwich bag.
In the fisher body book it says the plastic cups are available from the dealer, they may still be available.
I used an industrial HEAVY gauge plastic bag and used gorilla tape to attach it to the paper as laid out in the fisher book.  I probably should have cut the bag down to a shorter height as mine bunches up a little.

The coated paper version of the watershields are available from HEARTBEAT CITY.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa