Author Topic: 67 RS drivers door is locked and won't open  (Read 18814 times)

steve67rs

• View Profile
67 RS drivers door is locked and won't open
« on: October 29, 2005, 02:12:57 PM »
It seems like the mechanism inside the door is broken. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this fixed?

thanks

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 67 RS drivers door is locked and won't open
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 02:22:01 PM »
It seems like the mechanism inside the door is broken. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this fixed?

thanks

You're going to get to have fun.

You'll be removing the door panel from INSIDE the car with the door closed.  You may find it easier to remove the seats first, then work on the panel.  That will allow you access to the lock mechanism inside to repair or remove it.

68 RS 302

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 03:17:35 PM »
I guess I would think that you could use a lock out tool such as a slim jim to get the door unlocked. At least then you won't have to work on the door while it's closed. Good luck with it.

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 04:07:16 PM »
I guess I would think that you could use a lock out tool such as a slim jim to get the door unlocked. At least then you won't have to work on the door while it's closed. Good luck with it.

If the mechanism is jammed/frozen, no slimjim will solve it ;)

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 01:43:13 AM »
If your car is driveable, take it to about any lock shop (call first) and see if they can open it with the ole reliable slim jiim. It's worth a try.  If they can get it unlocked, then just drive home and take it apart there.  If the're unable to unlock, then they may not even charge you for trying. But then, you have to go through the seat removal  routine as already mentioned.   Good luck.   J.R.

Jimsl78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 02:20:06 AM »
When you operate the lock knob do you feel any click?
I would try this if the mechanism is sticking, remove the lock knob and use lots of spray lube  into the lock knob hole while trying to soak the door latch and key cylinder areas. Try to move the lock knob rod up and down and the key many times to see if it will free it up?
Maybe a long shot but it's worth a try.

Mr12771

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 02:41:42 PM »
 I just had a firebird in my shop with the same problem. If you give me your e-mail or phone number. I can call you if you're in the usa.  It's easier to talk you through it. It's not hard at all and you can do it with the window down and door panel on.

Mike
 mr12771@aol.com

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 09:03:50 PM »
Just do what I did with my Toyota station wagon. Take a splitting maul and punch a hole in the door so you can reach the mechanism. hahaha  JUst kidding I did do that to my Toyota ( Shows what I think of import garbage)  I have same problem with my 69 I do not relish the Idea of working from the inside out. Though my door panels arent in pristine shape so i guess im lucky there.

anything