Author Topic: White striped air cleaner hose  (Read 1030 times)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
White striped air cleaner hose
« on: July 06, 2023, 03:25:27 AM »
My 68 is an automatic and while doing another project, I pulled them off the bottom and cleaned them. Notice the zipper pattern from the roller wheel. Interesting how it has notches about every 6”. Anyone want to share/confirm/deny?
Is this the same pattern for the vacuum advance hose?

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: White striped air cleaner hose
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 04:19:11 PM »
Most likely something related to the hose manufactures construction apparatus or hose handling equipment as they extruded, formed, drawn, reeled, stored the hose and a device altered the stripe in a consistent pattern resulting in the dashed line uniformly spaced. Great sample.

My Hand "pinstriping"  tool has a variety of brass/steel wheels and the circumference has little ridges to "Hold-Cling" the paint during dispensing. My theory is that the Bald or Thin spot on the Crown of the Hose is a result of higher pressures at this application point vice the outer edges of the stripe do to the Squish effect at the center resulting in thinness and resulting x or strobe line appearance on the center of the stripes, this would be a possible explanation.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 04:26:16 PM »
That's what I envision - something similar to a pinstriping wheel was used to mark the hose.  I recall the xxx patterns on those wheels, to grab the paint.  I wonder if the breaks in the stripe are to easily measure off specific lengths without needing a tape or ruler. 

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 07:35:50 PM »
Another wonder to ponder but great insight guys. I'm thinking the "zipper" effect is the center of the wheel having ridges or grips manufactured in it to keep from slipping and continually rolling, and not slipping or sliding on the hose. My other hose from the air cleaner will require a bit more work...has black spray paint on part of it. The paint is so good I used a substitute for Xylne (California of course) and rubbed it hard. The white paint isn't coming off. #quality

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 01:48:22 PM »

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 04:12:56 AM »
Interesting GM Wiper fluid pick up hose
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 04:10:27 PM »
Interesting that's on the wiper hose. I do like zippered pattern...