Author Topic: Magnaflow exhaust - Hotchkis rear sway bar - interference???  (Read 1428 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Magnaflow exhaust - Hotchkis rear sway bar - interference???
« on: February 19, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »

Has anyone been able to install a Magnaflow dual exhaust system with a Hotchkis rear sway bar also installed.?

This is the Magnaflow part number 15896......2 1/2 inch pipe with dual mufflers with the tail pipes exiting the mufflers and going up and over the axle housing.

The reason I ask is because, unlike any other dual exhaust complete system I have seen out there for first gen Camaros, the Magnaflow system's mufflers are splayed instead of being parallel to each other. The back of the mufflers are pointed slightly outwards.

The Hotchkis sway bar uses vertical "dogbone" connectors to attach the sway bar itself, which is fastened to the axle housing, to the support bracket that is connected to the frame rails. The way the mufflers are splayed outward, it looks like tailpipes coming out of the mufflers are going to come very close to those vertical dogbone connectors if not run right into them.

It also looks like the sway bar support bracket that attaches to the frame rails might interfere with the Magnaflow muffler hangers which bolt to the factory threaded holes in the floor board.

So before I spend $800 on the Magnaflow system only to find out it interferes with the sway bar, I was wondering if anyone has successfully used this combination  or if it's been tried and can't be done.

Thanks.......Dave

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Magnaflow exhaust - Hotchkis rear sway bar - interference???
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 01:02:48 PM »
Your question is probably best asked (and answered) in the Team Camaro site, as that is where MOST of the modified Camaro owners spend their time; CRG is predominantly for *original* configuration Camaros.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 07:15:13 PM »
Gary is correct. I certainly don’t have an answer.

My thoughts though include “any non-original configuration will take some extra time for custom fitting”.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 09:25:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I posted this at Team Camaro at the same time I posted here.

Dave