Author Topic: Need help finding info on air conditioning option for 68  (Read 1362 times)

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
Need help finding info on air conditioning option for 68
« on: February 18, 2022, 06:52:33 PM »
Hi, I am having a hard time finding info here on the air conditioning option. A friend is wanting me to buy his fantom blue 68 rs/ss auto that is a fairly beat up California car, still all intact still, has a 396/325HP engine and it has air conditioning.
thanks.
Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Need help finding info on air conditioning option for 68
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 07:31:42 PM »
What is it you want to know?

Ed

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 07:51:28 PM »
Hi, thanks, would be interested in how do you know if it was added or not, does the engine code cover it, did the 396 even have the air option, anything special to wonder about a California car with the option. I don't know if the cowl tag would indicate air.
-bob
Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 07:56:51 PM »
Information on first generation Camaros with the air conditioning option:

http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 08:08:01 PM »
Hi, thanks, would be interested in how do you know if it was added or not, does the engine code cover it, did the 396 even have the air option, anything special to wonder about a California car with the option. I don't know if the cowl tag would indicate air.

Hi Bob. Let's start with the first question - how do you know if it was added or not.

There were two versions of the A/C system in 1968. The FACTORY installed A/C (called the "Four Season") and the DEALER installed A/C (called the "All Weather"). Factory installed A/C is easy to distinguish because there's a large box known as a "suitcase" attached to the firewall (see the picture below - that big box sticking out from the firewall - and although that's a small block "suitcase", the big block is similar) and the dash control will indicate A/C. The dealer installed A/C is basically an "add-on" system that was placed under the dash. (See the examples below for the "Four Season" - top - and the "All Weather" - bottom - from the 1967 Chevy-II below, but the 1968 was basically the same)

And yes, while the factory A/C can be added by a prior owner to make it appears to be "factory", it's such a major pain that it's really not worth it. However, there are subtle differences that can indicate if it's been added or not but I won't get into those now.

The engine code won't indicate if the car came with A/C or not so that's of no help, but post a picture of the engine suffix code on the front pad and we can probably tell you more about the car in general.

A/C was available on any 68 Camaro (except the Z28 and L78) from both factories.

The cowl tag on the 68 doesn't indicate A/C.

Ed
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 08:42:53 PM by bertfam »

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 10:25:49 PM »
Thanks Ed, you nailed it, you addressed my questions. I appreciate it.  This will help for my next review of the car.  I passed on it and now after getting a 68z/28, I have a different appreciation of the 68 body.  The 68 has grown on me as being more pure and simple, vs the 69.  Having zero rust on this air car is also pulling on me now, and a chance to go out on a hot night with the wife and have air could be nice, plus she could drive it.  I will see if I can get a picture of the pad and engine compartment/dash posted on here soon.

anything