Author Topic: Posts asking about the database  (Read 2606 times)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Posts asking about the database
« on: February 18, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
I am not speaking for anyone else, but I am giving my opinions.

Took some hate email yesterday for being honest, probably harshly honest, but I needed to speak my mind.

The database was setup as a research tool, not for "every Tom, Dick, and Harry" to inquire if CRG has data on a specific car. The number of people with access is very limited, and that’s done by design. Some of that data was collected with the owner expecting the information to be kept confidential, some was pulled off the internet (eBay, Facebook, etc.), some collected by CRG members from personal inspections and by other means. And it’s not necessarily explicitly explained out as to “what is what” in the database.

If someone has questions about a car for sale, the appropriate way to ask would be something like this.

Hey guys I saw this car for sale, I am interested in buying it and wondered what your thoughts are on it.

If you are wanting opinions about original drivetrain components, post pics.

If you are really interested in buying the car, be careful not to share too much information. Someone else may to buy it before you! When I was looking for another car on Facebook, I had 2 cars bought out from under me by guys that saw responses to my ad and were closer to the car with cash in hand. So it can happen!

There are people that also collect data on cars and keep their own data on VINs and details. Sometimes people will share what they know.

People that post with a demanding type tone will not get a favorable response.

Those that ask about car after car after car will wear out their welcome.

True car guys do their own research for a purchase first, then ask for input. Nobody knows everything, nobody.

True car guys are on this site, but scammers and flippers can infiltrate every site. It’s not possible to keep them all out.

So my final thought is, enjoy your cars. Treat people with respect. Realize that relationships are more important than material items.

Have a nice day.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

rocco376

• View Profile
Re: Posts asking about the database
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 04:20:01 PM »
Well said.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 08:05:52 PM »
Yes, we’ll said ….. but I do have a question.  I have been a member of this forum since Oct 2005, so not a newbie, but at the same time I don’t post much here anymore for a variety of reasons.

I totally understand where Byron is coming from but at the same time I don’t think the request for information that started this was out of line either…..so my question is this, at the end of the day when those who now have protective control of the database are no longer with us - what happens then?  Who then controls database information?

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 08:15:44 PM »
Yes, we’ll said ….. but I do have a question.  I have been a member of this forum since Oct 2005, so not a newbie, but at the same time I don’t post much here anymore for a variety of reasons.

I totally understand where Byron is coming from but at the same time I don’t think the request for information that started this was out of line either…..so my question is this, at the end of the day when those who now have protective control of the database are no longer with us - what happens then?  Who then controls database information?

Richard

You have heard the saying “the straw that broke the camel’s back”?

There are enough people that have it to live on, and most of us aren’t that old.

If god is willing and my family history holds, I should be around at least another 30+ years. (I have traced back family history where many of my male ancestors lived beyond the average life expectancy - in some cases by a lot of years for the time)
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 08:50:03 PM »
What happens when all the core members of the CRG are dead and buried? Well, as we all know, web sites are NOT static. They come and go. I can't tell you how many sites I've bookmarked over the years just to come back a year or so later and they're gone.

However, I would imagine that eventually we'll either add younger core members (if we can find any!! With few exceptions like my son, it seems that kids nowadays have no interest in the first generation Camaro), or the site (and database) will disappear. I'd LIKE to think it'll carry on, but no one can foresee the future. Hell, in another 10 years we may ALL be dead and buried!!!

Ed

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 09:16:26 PM »
Ed - My nephew wanted to learn how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, so I figured he shouldn't have a problem driving my Z28 as I recently had the clutch replaced.  Sadly, even when I told him to leave it in first gear, we ended up stalled in the middle of the street and a neighbor got frustrated and passed us on the right side of the road.  Oh well, I tried! - Mark

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 10:03:38 PM »
Totally agree that some of the info in the database should be kept hidden by a few safe-keepers. Helps keep the flippers and fraudulent thieves from learning some of the things to better fake a car, in my opinion. What I don't know won't kill me and I will enjoy my Camaro none the less. That is what we all need to understand. They are cars, not family. If I considered my car family I wouldn't abuse it from time to time, but once in a while it needs put through it's paces. Actually, in my opinion, the folks who need to worry about a lot of the things pertaining to the database are the ones who actually have or are in the process of owning or purchasing a true numbers car. Once the factory numbers are gone, like me, you just have a Camaro to do with as you please and enjoy. Nothing wrong with asking how to try and put one back as close to factory specs as possible, but in the end you just end up with a somewhat day 2 or 3 factory clone. Not trying to pi$$ anyone off and opinions are like  well,you know what. I too have seen folks wear out the look at this car they pulled up on the internet for opinions and after a while I no longer look at their links because it becomes apparent that they have no clue as to what they want and proves that they don't try to get info/details themselves to better understand what their actually looking for/at. I agree with Bryons opinion and yes, I have no stake in the matter and I know it.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 04:49:49 AM »
Wow Bryon; sorry to hear this! I think all of the CRG members due a great job of helping where they can, yet keeping the core information safe from the unscrupulous.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 10:30:00 PM »
Wow Bryon; sorry to hear this! I think all of the CRG members due a great job of helping where they can, yet keeping the core information safe from the unscrupulous.
☝️
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

anything