Author Topic: My 69 Z28 NRCS Data Report  (Read 1951 times)

LeonardS

• View Profile
My 69 Z28 NRCS Data Report
« on: February 14, 2022, 08:31:07 PM »
I spent the $50 to see when my 69 was built and where it was shipped. According to NCRS it was produced 10/02/1969 and delivered to Dealer Code 001 in Zone 79. GM Overseas Distribution Center. New York, New York. Any thoughts on this? Maybe a member of the military purchased it?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: My 69 Z28 NRCS Data Report
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:09:49 PM »
Maybe a member of the military purchased it?

That's the usual scenario.

Cars that were order by servicemen stationed overseas (and delivered overseas), cars that were ordered by servicemen (and delivered state side when they returned) and cars that were exported to foreign countries were all handled by the overseas distribution division.

Ed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:19:25 PM »
Most of the time, it's the middle scenario. Servicemen could order the cars (thru the PX IIRC) and the cars were delivered state side when they returned.
Kurt S
CRG

67CruiseMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 09:47:35 PM »
Kurt you are partially correct. Cars could be ordered at the overseas location and picked up at the dealer where the serviceman would be stationed or at a location of the servicemen choice. Being a retired air force veteran myself, I actually did that when I was stationed in Germany.

Scot
67 SS/RS with original Cruise Control
67 Tuxedo Black Convertible.

LeonardS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 10:03:59 PM »
I purchased the car in Minneapolis, MN in 1987 or 1988. The car didn’t have enough rust to have lived it’s life there. I sure wish I had asked more questions about the history of the car, but I was just excited to have found a 69 Z28 at a fair price. Now 35 years later, more detail would be nice to have.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 10:47:24 PM »
Original owner of my Z ordered while finishing his tour in Vietnam. Picked up at a local dealer in hometown 6/25/68. (Ohio, car has since remained local)
FWIW, attached is stamp in warranty book.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 11:56:14 PM »
I'm sure plenty of others, but Harley was pushing 883's when I was stationed in Germany, mid 80's.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

rlw68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 09:55:35 PM »
Kurt you are partially correct. Cars could be ordered at the overseas location and picked up at the dealer where the serviceman would be stationed or at a location of the servicemen choice. Being a retired air force veteran myself, I actually did that when I was stationed in Germany.

Scot

Roger that ...

8)
Rob
1969 02D Norwood Z/28. Lemans Blue 715

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 05:12:05 AM »

Scot
I'm confused. Why am I 'partially correct'??
Three options were listed.
1 - Cars that were order by servicemen stationed overseas (and delivered overseas),
2 - Cars that were ordered by servicemen (and delivered state side when they returned)
3 - Cars that were exported to foreign countries were all handled by the overseas distribution division.
I said #2 was more popular. And the AAFES says the same thing. Or are you saying the wording from Ed was wrong - delivered state side vs and delivered state side when they returned?
Point is - the most common scenario is the car never left the country.
Kurt S
CRG