Author Topic: '69 Clutch Rod Boot Seal Installation  (Read 1499 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
'69 Clutch Rod Boot Seal Installation
« on: January 30, 2022, 12:34:46 AM »
I read somewhere on CRG regarding the clutch rod boot seal that folks have struggled with to keep from stretching and tearing after a short period of time. I have experienced the same issue with two reproduction seals over the past several years. 

I emailed Jerry MacNeish to get his input on the issue, and he encouraged me to purchase an NOS seal.  I just received NOS seal #3903071 from Heartbeat City Camaro this week. The rubber in the NOS seal does feel thicker and perhaps made from a different rubber compound than the reproduction seal.  Last week I restored my clutch push rod again, as it was originally restored in 1995 - 1999 when I restored my '69 Z28.

I also consulted with Larry Christensen for recommendations on the boot installation to prevent it from self-destructing. Larry suggested I lubricate the boot and seal; however, the boot seal fits very snug on the rod and is not designed to be a sliding fit.  I installed the clutch rod to test the full stroke travel at about 2 inches. The boot seal is about 2" long and will fully collapse with each push of the clutch.  I am not sure that the expensive NOS boot seal will hold up, and will stretch and tear over time like the reproduction boots I have used.  The new boot is not designed like the  mid-1970s accordion version that is very flexible and designed to easily collapse. 

I read where someone used a Dremel to open up the ID of the boot seal so it would slide freely along the rod.  I also know the seal needs to grip the rod while the clutch is in the pressed position, so when the clutch pedal is released, the boot seal extends to its natural shape.

Anyone else have success with their boot seal installation, and what did you do to install it?

Thanks!

Charley PHX

• View Profile
Re: '69 Clutch Rod Boot Seal Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 11:18:23 PM »
Wondering if any updates on action taken & outcomes? Recently encountered the same problem with my '67 (and had to replace)...
'67 04D (LOS) L-35/M20 Convertible (owned since 1975) - Restored 2013-2022 (Bow Tie 981/1000 GOLD July 2023)
'67 06D (LOS) L-78 Coupe (body) (1979 barn find) - Traded 2018 to my car builder!

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Re: '69 Clutch Rod Boot Seal Installation
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 12:02:45 AM »
I decided to use my Dremel and opened the inside diameter of the boot seal for a lose sliding fit on the clutch rod. I paid too much for the NOS seal to have it self destruct. So far it works great, and I expect it will last for a long time!