Author Topic: No oil flow at rockers from preoiling in fresh motor  (Read 2110 times)

vabeach56wagon

• View Profile
No oil flow at rockers from preoiling in fresh motor
« on: January 29, 2022, 02:50:52 PM »
Using a toothless distributor, I'm getting 50+psi at gauge.

But even after 5-8 minutes I'm getting no flow through pushrods to rockers. (30-30 cam, solids)

Should I be using the rubber ring to seal the distributor or is there some other possible problem?

This is a fresh engine throughout.

paul

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: No oil flow at rockers from preoiling in fresh motor
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 05:47:06 PM »
Did you assemble the engine, or purchase as a long/short block (or crate) ? I've seen engines where the shop forgot to replace the gallery plugs at either end of the block after they were removed for cleanup/tanking. It can happen -

The time you've spent priming is certainly enough to get flow through the cam galleries and pushrods in my opinion. I've used gearless distributor housings to pre-oil before, I use a dedicated pre-oiler since many years ago. Try another oiler (inexpensive compared to a teardown) !

Certainly concerning -

Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 06:32:39 PM »
I've seen this before. As a matter of fact, it took about 5 minutes for the oil to get up through the push rods on the 427 I just built a few months ago. That's why you use TONS of lube and ZDDP additive!

Ed

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 07:12:33 PM »
I had this issue with a set of lifters after chasing the oil passages confirming oil was making it through the engine.  Replaced the new lifters with another brand lifters and issue was remedied.   Do as Steve mentioned. Confirm oil plugs are installed and confirm oil is making it through the oil passages. If you get that far without success buy one or a couple new lifters and see if the issue is fixed. How I ended up figuring out my problem.

Also while priming engine rotate the assembly a 1/4 turn at a time every couple of minutes. Sometimes lube and plug an orifice.  Just something I usually do when building and priming.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 04:19:27 PM »
You need to partly rotate the engine a few times during the pre-lube.  The lifter passages are not fed oil 100% of the lifter travel so only a few pushrods will get lube if you keep the cam in one position. Move crank 1/4 turn and continue, repeat etc. Once they are all wet you can stop.

vabeach56wagon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 11:31:37 PM »
Rotated crank 1/4, spun the toothless distributor, repeated for entire cycle and got oil at rear cylinders.....which is a success, I think.

paul