Author Topic: VIN number matching trim tag  (Read 20638 times)

wolfe1

VIN number matching trim tag
« on: December 07, 2005, 09:31:31 PM »
I've got a X33D80 car with a N669031 VIN. The build date on the trim tag shows 07D. Does this seem correct? I've seen varying info on VIN numbers and how they correspond to different months and the build dates on the trim tags. Thanks for your help.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: VIN number matching trim tag
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 11:18:30 PM »
Check the numbers on the cowl tag again make sure thers no typos in either the info or the VIN.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

wolfe1

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 11:59:37 PM »
I double checked and the info is correct. What are you thinking? Thanks, John

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 03:51:50 AM »
Got a picture of the tag?

I'm still thinking you have a typo in the tag info you posted.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 11:28:51 AM by Mark »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 06:06:50 AM »
Youre VIN lines up just fine with an 07D tag date.  Last VIN through the end of July was 669119 according to the CRG chart.  That would put your car 88 cars before the end of July VINs.

Seems fine to me, unless I'm missing something.

dave
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 06:18:36 AM by RamAirDave »
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Leonard1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:54:22 PM »
I agree with Mark, a picture is worth a thousand words!  There is something in the info you posted that doesn't add up.

wolfe1

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 05:20:57 PM »
The info on the tag is correct. I'm not sure what you're looking for. The car was built at the end of the month. Based on info I've read the tag was installed 3-4 days before assembly. I'm assuming from the VIN that the car was made on or near the last day of the month which was Wednesday or Thursday. This is based on the last VIN for July being 669119. I've seen other data that says that VINs upwards of 670000 where produced in July. The cowl tag would have been installed at the beginning of that week or the end of the previous week. Did July have 5 build weeks in 69, and are you suggesting that the build date would more likely be a "E" in stead of "D". It seems difficult to determine when there are so many variables related to production and conflicting data to concider. Plus or minus a week on the build date in relation to the VIN seems feasible.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 05:31:55 PM »
I have an image of that tag from 3/06/2004 and it didn't have an 07D build date on it then.  If it does now someones swapped the tag on it between now and then.  That's why I want to see an image of the tag you have now.  The tag image I have was of a real X33D80 tag with your VIN on it and was correct for the car.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 05:35:20 PM »
Seems like I recal a previous post on the old forum which discussed this in some detail.  I I recall, the post stated that if a logistical or actual production problem occurred with the body after Fisher began building it, depending on how sever the issue was, the body would remain on the Fisher side of the fence until the problem was fixed - resulting in a more than standard variance between body build and final assembly build dates.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

wolfe1

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 07:11:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Rich, its seems logical that those types of things would occur. Mark, the VIN number is not on the cowl tag. You may have seen a fisher body number that matched my VIN.

clwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 08:07:33 PM »
I think Mark's been around long enough to likely not make that mistake.  Is it possible for you to post a picture of the trim tag for the site at all?
Christropher
1967 RS/SS 350......in pieces still.

wolfe1

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 08:52:09 PM »
I don't have a picture I can post at this time, I'll see what I can do. I don't doubt that Marks knows his stuff, I was only responding to his post about having a tag with my VIN on it. Perhaps Mark can post the tag he has. Thanks for your help.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 08:52:45 PM »
Seems like I recal a previous post on the old forum which discussed this in some detail. I I recall, the post stated that if a logistical or actual production problem occurred with the body after Fisher began building it, depending on how sever the issue was, the body would remain on the Fisher side of the fence until the problem was fixed - resulting in a more than standard variance between body build and final assembly build dates.
That very rarely happened. Only if there was an issue that had to be reworked and most were fixed on the same shift.
Kurt S
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 11:56:58 PM »
How bout if I post most of your body number and interior and exterior codes on the image I have.  I probably grabbed it of of Ebay or someplace else public.  Very few of the images I have have been submitted to the CRG as part of a cars documentation.  I haven't even checked to see if its in our Database.

12437 NOR NOR3653XX
TR 727       71 71 PNT
                X33D80

The way I store images is something like this tag_9N669031_NOR3653xx_X33D80, thats why I refered to having your VIN associated with the cowl tag.  Poor english on my part.

edit: just checked the database, its not in there so the image must have come from Ebay.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 12:05:51 AM by Mark »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 07:20:17 PM »
The folllowing can be found on the old forum.  I have included JohnZ's reply to the second post.  The entire string, for both posts, are relevant to the topic here, FYI.

FIRST POST                           VIN and Build Dates
                                                 Posted By: sdkar <sdkar@bellsouth.net>
                                                           Date: 8-March-05, 16:31

I have a 69 Camaro Pace Car with a build date of 04C and a VIN of 636XXX. I found another Pace Car for sale with a build date of 04C as well but with a VIN of 628065. I am under the belief that this VIN would have to be an early April car. Is it possible that this is perfectly okay? Is there someplace where the VIN's are broken down by month and week?
Steve

SECOND POST                Final Assembly Build Date
                                                            Posted By: yock <yock@kuchera.com>
                                                                 Date: 29-December-04, 17:06

I recently bought a 69 Z-28. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with. the first question is,:
Is there a differance between the body build date ( on cowl tag) and the final assembly date for the complete vehicle. If there is a differance, where could a person locate the final assembly date for the complete vehicle.
The second question is,:
Were the partial VIN numbers near the small block oil filter gang stamped. The partial VIN numbers on my 69 302 engine has a few numbers that are very readable and a few that are sort of readable and a few that are not very readable. They appear to be in a straight line.
Thank you

re: Final Assembly Build Date
                                                    Posted By: JohnZ <Snake488@aol.com>
                                                           Date: 30-December-04, 10:55

The final assembly build date can be estimated within about a week. The week shown on the trim tag is when the body was welded together; the final assembly date is generally 3-4 days after that. Since the tag build date could be any day of that particular week, the final assembly date could be as early as 3-4 days after the first day of the tag week, or it could be 3-4 days after the last day of the tag week.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Leonard1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 01:58:32 PM »
12437 NOR NOR3653XX
TR 727       71 71 PNT
                X33D80

Well, do we have a match?

wolfe1

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 04:15:10 PM »
Mark was correct. Someone had changed the tag to modify the interior code and also changed the build week to what they thought was more appropriate. Fortunately I was able to locate the original tag in a box of receipts that came with the car. The tag matches a photo of the original tag Mark has on file. Now I have to figure out how to attach it so it looks correct. Thanks for everyones help. 

Leonard1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 05:05:10 PM »
They probably didn't think it was a real tag to begin with ???

anything