Author Topic: Addressograph or Graphotype at Norwood  (Read 1766 times)

69RALLYSPORTZ28

• View Profile
Addressograph or Graphotype at Norwood
« on: December 27, 2021, 01:44:56 AM »
Was it an Addressograph or Graphotype that was used for Trim Tag, VIN tags and Protect O Plates at Norwood?
Was it an employee sitting at a key pad and typing each character of each line or was it more automated by the mid Sixties?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Addressograph or Graphotype at Norwood
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 03:39:13 AM »
From some of John's old posts, the Trim Tags were made on a Graphotype machine, P-O-P's were made on an Addressograph machine and the VIN tags were embossed from the back side in an Addressograph machine with matching male/female dies for each character.

And I also believe he stated (although I can't find it) that they were employee driven.

Ed

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 06:26:20 PM »
At the Van Nuys Plant, the machine which stamped the VIN plates was located in the computer center and the information came from the Vehicle Order Master (VOM).  The only time we would manually stamp a VIN tag was when one was damaged in the assembly plan and we would need the original tag as they would have to be sent to Central Office as we had to account for every tag.  I even stamped a few replacement VIN tags for some 3rd generation F-cars.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »
Thanks for that info Mark. I also found the thread where John stated that the trim tags were made on the Addressograph machine driven by IBM punchcards in the Fisher Body Scheduling department. This only leaves the P-O-P and I can't find any info on that one.

Ed

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 07:13:48 PM »
There were data entry clerks at Van Nuys in the mid-1980s and they verified every input.  We were even still using IBM punch cards for some applications and when our sorter needed to be repaired, our IBM customer engineer had to go to their historical records to find the maintenance manual!

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »
We still use this machine at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Shop 51 to make electrical wire cable markers.

https://www.ohiomemory.org/digital/collection/p267401coll36/id/364

Funny.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 10:11:17 PM »
The machine which punched out VIN plates was located near one of the doors to the computer center as someone would pick them up and take them out to the assembly plant.  You needed a magnetic card to get into the room as we also printed the checks for hourly employees and all disbursement checks and there was a phone on the wall to call to contact us.  Unused VIN plates were stored in a walk-in vault in a locked cabinet.  I remember the machine that stamped the VIN numbers was quite small and made a lot of noise, but we never had a problem with it.

anything