Author Topic: Brake component dating for Van Nuys Strike Camaro questions  (Read 1741 times)

KevinW

• View Profile
Brake component dating for Van Nuys Strike Camaro questions
« on: December 19, 2021, 11:45:02 PM »
OK, I have been pulling out boxes of parts and organizing fasteners, restoring and bagging, so when I start to assemble my Van Nuys 69 SS, all the parts will be ready to install.  Since I am now retired, that goal is inching forward.

So now looking at fuel and brake lines as well as brake components and valves.  I ran across some dating questions. My SS is an 05A build but was one of the first hundred or so Camaros built after the April 1969 strike with the "leftover" parts.

I bought my SS in 1982 when it was in the process of being stripped for parts.  I was able to grab quite a lot, but engine and trans were gone.  An old pic shows the power booster and master cyl still there, so it had that.

Now in my youth I bought rusty 69 Camaros and parted them out, but kept the best parts for my car.  I did not buy any higher dollar cars like SS or Z28, since those were still expensive and rare in the 80s.

But I did find one other Camaro with power disc brakes, since I saved two sets of rear 2 piece brake lines (and two sets front lines and 2 disc setups).  I never throw anything away. :) Since I was young and stupid, I did not record any numbers or take detail pics.  :(

So I have two brake lines with the proportioning valves on it, one must be my original and one must be from another car.  So one of the valves is 332 8, the other is 060 9.  Which one do you think is my original?

I have only one 9204 booster (doubt I would have sold a booster as I would have held on to those) dated 334 of 68.  I also have 3 power steering boxes, one is 338 8 and one is 020 9. Once I saw those close dates, I began to wonder if they were my originals.  Prop valve 332 (Nov 28 68), booster 334 (Nov 30 68) and steering box 338 (Dec 4 68).

So what is the likelihood of these brake components being made in OH in late 68, then being shipped to LA.  Where they could have sat in the bottom of the bins and not installed until early June of 69?  Pretty far fetched, right? :D 

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Brake component dating for Van Nuys Strike Camaro questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 02:19:04 PM »
Your guess is about as good as anyones at this point unless you can find other cars built around your cars build date and base it in your finding. Not sure that much detail is captured in the crg database but there might be small groupings from other research data collections that might help.  I personally don’t have anything on 69 VN Camaro brake systems.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 03:11:33 PM »
Thanks for checking, I knew it was a long shot.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:22:31 PM »
I thinks odds are one of your parts cars was a late Dec 68 car and you saved all those parts. Since you were parting cars in the 80,s you must be about my age. That means you may never remember where the parts came from.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 08:46:11 PM »
I thinks odds are one of your parts cars was a late Dec 68 car and you saved all those parts. Since you were parting cars in the 80,s you must be about my age. That means you may never remember where the parts came from.

LOL!

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 01:32:01 PM »
:)  I remember a lot of cars, but not to that detail, Ha!

anything