Author Topic: '69 Convertible 2-piece front to rear brake line replacement  (Read 2952 times)

rjprice

• View Profile
'69 Convertible 2-piece front to rear brake line replacement
« on: December 04, 2021, 04:13:48 PM »
'69 power disc/drum.

Looking to replace the brake lines from the master to prop valve on driver side frame rail and the prop valve to rear flex line.  Bought inline tube steel brake lines.  Please tell me this can be done with the car fully assembled.  Any tips?

Also is there anything I should do to the prop valve (clean it, paint it, etc.) while I am at it? 

This was all started by my decision to replace the rear flex hose. One look at the hard lines on the rear and I knew they would never survive the flex hose replacement so I am replacing those, and the master, too.

Any comments welcome

Dave69rag

• View Profile
Re: '69 Convertible 2-piece front to rear brake line replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 02:14:15 PM »
Hopefully you were able to replace your brake lines by this time.  If not, this can be done to a fully assembled vehicle. I just completed this task on my 69 convertible. I did have to remove the clutch z bar for clearance. The only issue I could see is a lack of clearance between the floor pan and the sub frame if you have worn body bushings.

Dave

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 02:36:20 PM »
Yes, it can be done, but you need to get car raised up for clearance. 

I recommend replacing the O-rings in the 3 components in the brake system.  Cheap insurance if you are replacing everything else :)

https://www.camaros.net/threads/1969-j52-power-disc-brake-valve-rebuild-tutorial-metering-proportioning-and-differential-valves.483596/#post-1783304849

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 04:51:32 PM »
Kevin,
That is a great write-up!
Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 11:46:13 AM »
Thanks Kurt!  Scott at MCR was very helpful!

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 10:40:59 PM »
It can be done, but having it up high on Jack stands and a person to help remove and feed the new lines is worth whatever pizza and beer they demand. I did it on my 68, it takes patience. Keep us posted.

rjprice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 08:33:10 PM »
So, it was a major pain but I got it done. Replaced or rebuilt the entire brake system including:

Front to rear lines
Rebuilt proportioning valve
rear backing plates (ouch)
rear axle bearings/seals
all flex lines
All springs & drum hardware
replaced rear drums with wrong finned ones. Don't know why; still have the smooth ones and I think they are still good.
new 309 repro master

Decided to replace the tank to pump metal fuel lines. Have to say that the Right stuff pre bent lines fit better than the Inline tube ones.
Bought new brake line clips but did not use them as they were not even close to the originals. Reused original hardware and clips.

Learned all about the 2-piece rotors in the front. Kept those.
Rebuilt what looks to be original calipers

About to put it back on the road. Thanks for all suggestions.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 09:56:29 PM »
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work!  What happened to your rear axle seals and backing plates?

rjprice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 11:53:23 PM »
The backing plates were super rusty. To R&R those, gotta pull the axles. if I'm pulling the axles, I always do seals. The bearings looked original so I did those, too.

Of course broke 2 rear end cover bolts removing the cover. Managed to weld a nut on the one at the 9 o'clock position but never could get the one out at the 12 o'clock position. I'll get it when I pull the rear some time.

anything