Author Topic: PHOSPHATE... APPEARANCE vs. MAINTENANCE TRADEOFFS  (Read 4771 times)

Charley PHX

• View Profile
PHOSPHATE... APPEARANCE vs. MAINTENANCE TRADEOFFS
« on: November 15, 2021, 11:12:59 PM »
PHOSPHATE... APPEARANCE vs. MAINTENANCE TRADEOFFS and the long game...

Sorry for this lengthy post.  Trying to synthesize a TON on prior discussion on related topics (which I've researched at length)...  Opening a new topic; because while there's much discussion on correctness... i've not found quite so much material on long term implications (and what I did find was no longer current). 

Regardless... several really good references (citated below).  Because some of these go back almost ten years... wondering how well they've stood up to the test of time?

OBJECTIVE: Achieve a show-quality (i.e. points judged) finish; while also minimizing the burden for perpetual maintenance after the show's over...

--------     

With respect to finish: It seems the bar has been set (so to speak) in a 2020 discussion (HOOD HINGES SPRING) at:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=18195.msg165290#msg165290
... The hinge was zinc phosphated and the spring was cleaned and oiled.
--------     

Regarding protection after phosphate treatment; and keeping it 'pretty' longer...

AT: "1969 Hood Hinge Color" (2012 discussion) at:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9256
--------     
For what else it's worth: SUPPLIER'S instructions (Palmetto Enterprises) recommend cleaning & treating the freshly-treated parts using WD-40?  https://www.palmettoenterprisesparkerizing.com

--------     
REGARDING THE SPRINGS:  2018 discussion (GM HOOD HINGE SPRINGS) at:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16476.0

To summarize/paraphrase (omitting individual links):  Seems like the hot tips are either...
--------     
KICKER (FOR EXTRA POINTS):  I've seen (elsewhere) several photos/examples of cooking the RS hood latch in something like a 5-gal stew pot (With handle sticking out)... Anyone tried this, and how does it work in practice? 

I presume the RS latch assembly would have to be flipped and cooked again? (Unless you can source a big enough kettle)... Is there a concern that parts of the handle may get double-dipped?  Does this affect the finish?  any other comments??

--------     
Personally I like the idea of matte-clear over phosphate... But not sure how this will fare over the oiled surface (whether gun oil, WD-40, K-Y jelly, or whatever...??

Help please?? MANY THANKS for all inputs... Charley

'67 04D (LOS) L-35/M20 Convertible (owned since 1975) - Restored 2013-2022 (Bow Tie 981/1000 GOLD July 2023)
'67 06D (LOS) L-78 Coupe (body) (1979 barn find) - Traded 2018 to my car builder!

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: PHOSPHATE... APPEARANCE vs. MAINTENANCE TRADEOFFS
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 05:25:43 PM »
Matte clear will alter the look if sprayed on manganese phosphate and will not stick to anything oiled.
ALSO the Problem with clear etc is it will chip where ever something hits it and where the screws bear against it and then will rust another thing to consider is it will not gain the correct patina over time either.
Most prefer spraying with cosmoline or wipe with RPM or something like it. Wipe off the excess and let it go...

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »
KICKER (FOR EXTRA POINTS):  I've seen (elsewhere) several photos/examples of cooking the RS hood latch in something like a 5-gal stew pot (With handle sticking out)... Anyone tried this, and how does it work in practice?

I presume the RS latch assembly would have to be flipped and cooked again? (Unless you can source a big enough kettle)... Is there a concern that parts of the handle may get double-dipped?  Does this affect the finish?  any other comments??

My Stainless steel heated rectangle tank was not large enough for some items and a decision was made to submerge and flip: Yes, Distinct parting line formed, any post treatment grooming  was detrimental to finish, so we adopted a strategy of least observable location to determine part orientation during treatment and lived with the "resulting LINE"

TO Quote JAWS, were' gonna need a bigger boat- Sometimes compromises will and must be made.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »
Lol! Amen brother on "sometimes compromises"  swear, was just thinking that yesterday with a small detail on the car...just can't let them add up.

Post phosphate: had better results quenching in mystery oil right out of the pot. (per Chick). Also, everything gets a wipe down, periodically, with Rem oil. They make wipes. Easy because car lives on a lift.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

70z28lt1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 06:41:40 PM »
I found an old SS single sink on CL.  Cut a disc form some SS and pop-riveted-and used Ultra grey to seal it.

It could fit my hood latch assembly and hood hinges (one at a time).

Charley PHX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 12:57:18 AM »
I wanted to follow-up with the eventual conclusion & outcomes of the above.

Although this follow-up is seriously delayed... I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who provided their input.  I ended up going a different direction, but this took into consideration all the thoughts, ideas, and caveats that were offered up.  THANK YOU (again)...

I ended up sending the whole kit & caboodle (2 full sets) to Jerry MacNeish.  Received return delivery yesterday... They are beautiful, and ready to bolt-on right out of the box.

While pursuing the line of Q&A above, meanwhile I had also contacted JMN for a quote. We previously had used his services to refurbish my brake booster, and my distributor, both are flawless. As discussed above, one of my main concerns was long-term maintenance. He advised me (& sent photos) he has parts he did 10 years ago (& more), that still look like new.

Taking into consideration everyone's feedback above... I costed-out the do-it-myself option (including startup costs for solution, cookware, cleanup, etc.) vs. 'outsourcing', and concluded it was pretty close to break-even. Key assumption being 'one and done'. If I intended to do this recurringly, the CBA would've swung differently.
'67 04D (LOS) L-35/M20 Convertible (owned since 1975) - Restored 2013-2022 (Bow Tie 981/1000 GOLD July 2023)
'67 06D (LOS) L-78 Coupe (body) (1979 barn find) - Traded 2018 to my car builder!

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 11:30:33 PM »
Well done....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 04:59:06 AM »
Looks good. Question, does that RS hood release handle get black out treatment (painted)? I believe 68 was, but not sure about 67....Then again, I'm not absolutely certain about 68, either. ??? And I don't recall if Chick ever checked Skip's car ?
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 02:42:49 AM »
Looks good. Question, does that RS hood release handle get black out treatment (painted)? I believe 68 was, but not sure about 67....Then again, I'm not absolutely certain about 68, either. ??? And I don't recall if Chick ever checked Skip's car ?
Garth, got me on that one and will have to look.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 07:09:30 AM »
Much appreciated, Chick!

Don't know what year Charley (PHX) is workin' on, but given the criteria, "OBJECTIVE: Achieve a show-quality (i.e. points judged) finish; while also minimizing the burden for perpetual maintenance after the show's over..." suggest he does his homework regarding the finish on the RS hood release.:)
Garth

Charley PHX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 09:24:36 AM »
What year? ...1967.  I've included a photo from teardown below (OEM finish).

Jerry's book (which seems generally accepted as gospel) calls for phosphate finish on hood latches. Over the years, i have seen numerous corroborating references (too many to count). In post #1 (above) I cited 5 separate references on CRG site located through exhaustive search (selected items curated from many others). Most recently, the new Legends manual (yeah, 1969, i know) says the same thing on pg. 115.

I decided to send them to CHP because 1) I already know Jerry does top-notch work, and 2) also i have no doubt he is familiar with the required finishes (since he wrote the book).

If there are some reference points I overlooked somehow in my 'homework', by all means please advise... I learn something new every time I browse the site... thanks!

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 10:18:32 AM »
I'm only referring to the handle/rod being painted black. As I stated, I'm fairly certain 68's were finished this way to help conceal the rod as it's visible through the grill. I'm not sure about 67. Thought I heard (read) years ago, a different Charley (L, aka "clill") :) state one of his 67's wasn't black.

Like most other factory underhood and chassis paint, coverage varied and wasn't applied with intentions of longevity. Did you notice any evidence of black paint on yours ? 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 11:01:55 AM by Gars68Tux »
Garth

Charley PHX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 11:04:38 AM »
LOL from quick response & thanks for the clarification... Maybe we both need to get more sleep!  My curiosity now having been piqued from the previous exchange... I was already looking into this further when I saw the follow-up note.

The car I think you are referring to (famously known as #92 to some of us) is on the Mecum site right now (Indy, May 2022) with a trailer load of high-res photos.  Attached below is a great close-up of the grill area (screen grab) which presents a great view of the latch handle assembly. In this view it is definitely visible, though much of the latch & handle are shaded by the valences & grill. I would say it definitely does NOT appear to be blacked-out (though this may vary according to the eye of the beholder). Also interesting to note; the lower handle is mostly concealed by the bumper.

To your question (black paint)... I never noticed it as such.  This being due largely to many years being parked & forgotten (by myself); this following many years of weather & neglect (by others), before I got serious about restoration. From the teardown photos (there are more) I would say they appear to have probably been a dark phosphate before the years of weather and rust.

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 05:30:18 PM »
I was thinkin' PaceCar too, but back then, I didn't know he had one..... Can't keep track of all Charley's cars...  :o :D
Garth

Charley PHX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 10:23:13 PM »
Not meaning to unnecessarily prolong this thread... But by pure coincidence I have a new bit of additional information (for whatever it's worth). As I said earlier... I learn something new every time I check in here. And my knowledge of '68-'69s is nowhere near my familiarity with '67's...

Anyway. While checking-in today on my car... Became aware my builder took on a new project over the weekend... a 1968 SS396/Rally Sport.  Car is partly disassembled already, but I tracked down the hood latch assembly.  It is definitely black.  What I DON'T know (unfortunately) if that is the 'born-with' finish; or something somebody "improved" (so to speak) over the last 50 years or so (as we all know often happens)... It looks real (ish), and like there could be 50 years of dirt under the top plate... but the lower end of handle is tipped with blue spray-bomb (which leaves me wondering)...

Anyway; hope this helps for something???  Happy to look closer on my next visit (if I know what I'm looking for)...

anything