Author Topic: '69 ZL2 350 Cowl Induction air cleaner  (Read 4949 times)

BillG

• View Profile
Re: '69 ZL2 350 Cowl Induction air cleaner
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 10:52:18 PM »
Many of those air cleaner snouts were cut off by owners back in the day.  The thinking was more air could be obtained.  Looking at that small hole on the end, especially for V8's, it seemed logical.
Bill Garrett

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 12:12:24 AM »
Had the same situation many years ago. Removed a snorkel w/Thermactor from a 2bbl air cleaner, had it tack welded. Indetectable.

Excellant suggestion - exactly what I did.

After 30 yrs, I finally saw a real GM unit at the GM Nats in Carlisle a few months back.  As I composed myself, I asked how much.......$1500.  I walked away in utter amazement - but I finally saw one.  Glad I didn't need it.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 04:27:58 AM »
The thread I referenced above contains the statement about the GM part number for the "snorkel less" cleaner - I didn't author that tidbit. I would, however, take the OP's word for it. It was Warren Malkin's car, and I can bet it was a legit statement. It wouldn't affect emissions as it wasn't an emissions system component in my estimation (and no air injection on small block '69 automatics, anyway - just the PCV valve). Remeber, the ZL2 manual trans cleaners had an open snout, no valve.

The pics above place it as a good GM OE cleaner, the four spots appear to me to have fatigued off, doesn;t surprise me - I've had a few you could literally flex a time or two and break off from the can - very thin metal, very brittle after welding. I've seen burn throughs on the original welds, too - very easy to do as you have to time your weld to a couple of seconds - if your spot welder has a timer it's a plus. Your cleaner is a likely second design, for the ZL2 L48 applications with automatic, and is actually very scarce. It's worth restoring -

I had an NOS '70 cowl cleaner with the ThermA/C snorkel - they were meant for LS automatic cars with the Cowl Induction option, shorter snorkel with a deeper angle to the mount, used a flexible larger diameter heat tube from the exhaust manifold shield. Would not work on '69 small block applications, I'm certain (I teied to use it on my Pace Car, gave up and built my first one as I mentioned earlier). 

One last tidbit or two - if you use a 2 bbl cleaner, the stub outlet under the ThermA/C valve is actually too long, you'll need to shoretn it a bit to get it to work with the heat tube. No bigee. Also, the four bbl Rochester used a sensor with a green plastic body, later replacements were black. Rochesters also had a double clip for the sensor hoses. Don't use a '68 snout - the hose bib is on the wrong side of the snout ('68 L48 heat shield and tube mount to the driver's side manifold, not passenger like the '69 ups. Just sayin -   

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

rjprice

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »
Thanks for the good info! Going to re-snorkel the one I have and restore it.