Author Topic: Camaro and SS fender emblem attachment  (Read 1790 times)

RAS68

• View Profile
Camaro and SS fender emblem attachment
« on: October 18, 2021, 08:53:17 PM »
I have a question about the correct way to attach the ''Camaro" and "SS" fender emblems - were they originally attached with barrel nuts or speed nuts? I have to do some touch up painting on my DS fender so I am wondering if I need to find a way to unscrew any speed nuts or just gently pry out the emblems from barrel nuts. Any knowledge, suggestions, help or experiences would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Camaro and SS fender emblem attachment
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 09:33:37 PM »
Allen, from my experience emblems were all attached with speed nuts, most were dark (manganese) phosphated or (dull) cadmium plated. Although (many) service replacement speed nuts include a rubber or caulk-type sealer, originals that I've seen don't use sealer unless the sheet metal piercing is into the passenger compartment or the trunk such as for the tail panel SS emblem or the quarter panel gills.   

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 04:17:39 AM »
Allen, from my experience emblems were all attached with speed nuts, most were dark (manganese) phosphated or (dull) cadmium plated. Although (many) service replacement speed nuts include a rubber or caulk-type sealer, originals that I've seen don't use sealer unless the sheet metal piercing is into the passenger compartment or the trunk such as for the tail panel SS emblem or the quarter panel gills.   

Absolutely, and I hate the danged speed nuts for what they do tp the emblem studs. Have to be way too careful when you install or remove to keep from either stripping the stud or breaking it due to the cuts the speed nuts make in the soft zinc or aluminum. Hateful, but you gotta use 'em -

Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 08:09:50 PM »
I have been successful installing the speed nuts prior to the installation on the fenders so that if needed you can "open up" the hole if necessary so that you don't break the stud off by excessive force.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 04:07:50 AM »
I have been successful installing the speed nuts prior to the installation on the fenders so that if needed you can "open up" the hole if necessary so that you don't break the stud off by excessive force.

Richter has it right, I pre install nut with a wrench and emblem in hand to monitor the required torque during thread run in on new Stud. By doing this you accomplish two things; Have bio feedback on how much torque to accomplish work but not shear stud, then when installing when mounted goes much smoother.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

anything