Author Topic: Help removing drain plug from head...  (Read 5418 times)

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Help removing drain plug from head...
« on: April 12, 2007, 11:35:34 AM »
...looking for suggestions/advice.
   I need to remove a drain plug from a BB head (the temp sender should be there). The plug has the recessed square, ...it's smaller than 3/8, ...larger than 5/16, ...my guess is 11/32. The motor just came back from the machine shop, so I want to be careful with this...
   1.) Any ideas on who carries these "drain plug sockets", (preferrably hardened) in 11/32 size?
   2.) I am concerned about heating it with the torch (which I know I need to do), ...any thoughts on how I should go about this (besides ...carefully...: )

Thanks,
                  Kevin
 ...photo of the block. (It's not the plug you see on the front of the head (of course) but the same style on the side that I need to remove)

lcmc

• View Profile
Re: Help removing drain plug from head...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »
I've always used a 3/8 breaker bar. Are you sure it's not the paint that is causing a 3/8 to be to big?
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:55:57 PM »
Ive run into the same problem before on the side plug on a SB head, not sure if its the same size plug or not.  A 1/2" - 10mm drive reducer fit much better.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 12:00:09 AM by RamAirDave »
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 03:28:21 AM »
I've always used a 3/8 breaker bar. Are you sure it's not the paint that is causing a 3/8 to be to big?
   I cleaned it good, ...I wish it was 3/8, but it's not. I was able to locate a SnapOn 11/32 square 'socket', ...and it fits. (The strange part is the plug in the other side head is 3/8).
   I'll be away this weekend, ...so it will have to wait until next week to see if I can get it...

pickelnose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 12:02:31 AM »
This method works great.if its to tight to unscrew as it is then you have to heat.BUT heat the plug,not the head.the way this works is,heat the plug and it tries to expand from the heat but cant because the head prevents it from doing this.while the plug is hot,spray it with WD-40 and it will shrink an the lubricant will get in the threads and it will unscrew.how much heat is trial and error.normally you heat the plug untill it starts to turn red.I know you dont want to heat,but if it wont come out and you put to much pressure on it you can break the side off of it.then you break out the drill. hope this helps

1968RallySport

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 02:36:22 AM »
You can buy the socket you need at any Caterpillar (CAT) dealer. ;D