Author Topic: Brake light problem  (Read 2172 times)

Kaanderson

• View Profile
Brake light problem
« on: October 10, 2021, 08:04:32 PM »
Hi, I was hoping someone could help with a problem I am having. I have 67 rs ss camaro. My brake light switch went out, so I changed it out. I was checking all of the lights after I changed it and have noticed that when the blinker is on right and hit the brakes the left brake lights do not come on. When blinker is on left the brake light on right works correct. The brake lights work correct when no blinkers, correct with tail lights on. Anybody experience this? In the steering column switch?  Also I noticed dash lights quit working, I checked fuses and noticed no power to the instrument fuse. I was going to check the headlight switch next as I believe power goes to headlight switch first then to fuse panel. Any thoughts on that?
Thank you all in advance
Kris

jvb6648

• 716-796-5263
    • View Profile
Re: Brake light problem
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 10:35:31 PM »
I always check grounds first when lights start doing strange things. Try swapping the tail light bulbs from side to side and see if that changes anything.
Jim
68 Z/28

Kaanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 02:44:23 AM »
Yes, I had 1 bulb that was shot and changed it out, checked all the others, made sure the lamp sockets were grounding good on the housing. I figured out that once the turn signal is on if I pull up on it a little like I was going to turn the blinker off the brake lights come on so for sure its in the steering column switch.
 I will follow up on what I figure out on the dash lighting and fuse that has no power.
Thanks again

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:49:18 PM »
I think the turn signal switch is the culprit. Remember that the wires to the lights are power wires, and that the circuit is completed by grounding to the body. So I think the circuit logic for the brake lights goes like this: When the turn signal in not on the power is routed through the turn signal switch, bypassing the blinker device, to the brake light switch, and onto the brake light. The brake light stays lit continuously. When the turn signal is on the power is re-routed first through the turn signal switch, to the blinker device, and then to the brake light switch, and onto the brake light, causing it to blink instead of remaining lit continuously.
Jimmy V.

Kaanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 02:00:43 AM »
Yes, I believe it is the culprit also.  The explanation makes a lot of sense.
Thank you

olddragracer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 03:56:32 PM »
I believe you have a turn signal switch problem. However the power flow for the brake lights is from the fuse panel, brake light switch, turn signal switch to dark green and yellow wires that feed the bulbs in the rear tail lights. Brake lights work key on or off. The turn signal power comes from the ignition switch, Turn signals only work when the key is on. The turn signal switch reroutes the power to allow both turn signals and brake lights to use the same filament in the tail light bulbs. A faulty contact point in the turn signal switch would create the problem you describe.

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 04:40:04 PM »
Kris - Were your brake lights and turn signals working before you had to replace the brake light switch?  If everything was working okay before you changed the switch, perhaps the switch isn't the correct part.  I've had to remove the turn signal switch when I removed the steering wheel and found out that getting all the lights to work properly took a lot of time and I should have replaced the switch.  Seeing that the brake lights work when the turn signal and headlights are on isn't something that you would notice unless you were checking out your car in the garage!  If you decide to change the turn indicator switch, I would recommend buying an OEM part if possible.  Good luck! - Mark

Kaanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 01:22:17 AM »
Hi, i wanted to follow up with what i found out, so maybe it could help someone. I changed out the headlight switch and it did fix the no dash lights. The instrument fuse that had no power, does now have power with the headlight or parking lights on. The dash and gauge illumination work good now and dim properly. in regards to the brake lights and blinkers, the turn signal switch is where the problem lies. I will get it straightened out this winter.
thanks a lot for the advice and help.

anything