Author Topic: 67 396 Alternator Bracket Question  (Read 4914 times)

67SS396

• View Profile
67 396 Alternator Bracket Question
« on: April 12, 2007, 06:06:28 AM »
Working on a 67 Camaro SS 396.
We did not have any of the alternator or power steering brackets so we ordered them.

The top bolt hole on the alternator bracket does not line up with the hole on the edelbrock intake.
The bottom bolt on the alternator bracket is attached to the top water pump bolt.
Take a look at the pic and you can see the top bolt does not line up...

Am I just completely missing how it should be bolted up?

Thanks.

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Re: 67 396 Alternator Bracket Question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »
...well, ...initially I was going to say the bracket looks a little 'different', ...but here's a pic of a '68 396 I'm building. The photo is from a slightly different angle, ...but the bracket doesn't look a whole lot different. The only other thing is the intake...?

67SS396

• View Profile
Re: 67 396 Alternator Bracket Question
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 05:25:22 PM »
KevinK, thanks for posting a pic of your motor.. Looks Great.

I compared my Edelbrock #2161 intake - location of upper alternator bracket threaded hole to the upper alternator bracket threaded hole on a cast iron 4 barrel hi-rise intake I have layring around and the hole on the Edelbrock sits approximately 1/2" lower than stock and that is why the alternator bracket will not bolt up correctly.

In an email I received from Edelbrock about this issue, they bypassed discussion of the alternator bracket hole and informed me I might have hood clearance issues.
Seems that the only hood clearance issues mentioned by Edelbrock sales lit is problems for a Corvette.
So I think I will install the hood hinges, core support and hood this weekend to check for myself (none of the front sheet metal is on the car at this time.

Anyone out there use an Edelbrock #2161 on a BBC in a 1967 Camaro with a regular style hood?

anything